Axle help / Suggestions

89wrangler

Not a new member
09 jeep Commander. The damn thing has electric limited slip diffs front and rear. ( never heard of them until today). Well the front is locked. Like fully locked... Which would be great if you could turn it off, but you can't..lol. When turning, it sounds like the front end is coming apart, which I assume is the unit being forced to unlock. Anyone ever messed with these and have any suggestions on how to fix. The fluid was clear and no shavings or debris in there. And it only has one bearing cap, which again was a new one on me. Trying to help out my daughter. Told her not to buy the thing, but what do I know. Hopefully some one has some experience with these. The World Wide Web has not been helpful today. Thanks, Steve.

Well, figured it out. The electric limited slip operates off a solenoid that appears to use the diff fluid to apply pressure to the clutch packs. Looks like the solenoid is stuck in the on position and builds so much pressure it locks the front.removed the solenoid to released the pressure, and it unlocked. Hopefully the $35 solenoid and plug will solve the problem.

time for a Ls swap?

I wouldn't waste any money on that ugly duckling, besides it already has a Hemi baby! Just trying to help out my daughter.

sarcasm.jpg
yes it was!

Back