Axle Shaft resplining

I sent mine to Moser Axles. They did a great job. Not local but they definitely respline axles. I think Tarheel 4wd in Charlotte can do it also if I remember correctly.

I have considered doing this, but just don't believe I would see enough axle work to justify the cost of cutters & a "good" index head. No idea who to recommend locally. :shaking:

Didnt will at right side do these?

It cost me $18 to ship one axle to Moser. Probably well worth the money to have them do it for you.

It cost me $18 to ship one axle to Moser. Probably well worth the money to have them do it for you.
They are my backup and I've used them before but I'd like to be able to talk/show to someone in person. What I'm wanting isn't just a simple cut/respline.

blue prints. either its right or wrong. paper tells no lies.

Sounds like I need to buy an indexer...

Pretty sure there isnt a good local place that does it. Call Branik Motorsports, they can take care of whatever you need.

Sounds like I need to buy an indexer...

Dumb question, but horizontal or vertical mill, what kind of tool would you use to get the proper profile?

I have seen it done on a horizontal, but with the right tool I don't see why it couldn't be done on a vertical?

Dumb question, but horizontal or vertical mill, what kind of tool would you use to get the proper profile?

I have seen it done on a horizontal, but with the right tool I don't see why it couldn't be done on a vertical?
It could certainly be done on either. I assume people use a horizontal because it's stiffer and easier to see. My mill is both horizontal and vertical. I'm not sure what tool to use, but I've got plenty of resources to find out if you'd like to know.

See what you can find out, I have only found one tool with the proper profile, it used carbide inserts and the holder was made by a small shop it was for a vertical. So I'm sure it has to be a common insert its just a matter of figuring out which one it is.

Edit: Found the tool and it has the insert number, but not sure I want to gamble with sending my money to D.D.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tools-supplies/219732-spline-milling-cutter.html

Last edited:
Back