Axle straps or chain?

Jeffncs

I made a test run with my CJ7 on my recently refurbished trailer. Things went great - balanced load, towed straight, etc.

Pulled the straps to back it off the trailer and found the axle straps land right on the corner of the spring mounts...3 out of 4 have tears in the middle now and I won’t use them again.

The question goes to replacement now... should I get similar straps and just be more careful or should i switch to chain lengths for the J-hooks to snag?

I may be able to find narrower axle straps... just don’t want to keep throwing money away.

I love the weld on tab idea. They’d work great on my rear Dana 44, but the narrow track Dana 30 doesn’t have enough space to squeeze these in any where....

I’m debating new axle straps using a straight pull vs my preferred cross pull. Maybe add some heavier / thicker or supplemental padding where there could be any potential rubbing.

Basically a personal choice, & affordability. My old trailer, I had a hook up for 1 J hook, & used 2 straps on the front. Got a new to me trailer, with better hook points. Bought a second J hook, so 2 in the back, & still 2 straps on the front.

I use straps similar to these. Ratchet strap with chain ends.

I use an axle strap with a thick nylon abrasion guard. They cost ~$5/ea off ebay - even claim to have a lifetime warranty but ive never cared to try and warrant them..

I keep spares in the trailer box. But I usually get 1-2 years out of a strap even though mine ride on the spring perch mount.

Ive also got some older ones from AW direct - they are extremely good quality - but they cost a tad more. But their weight is evident and the ends are magnetic so your wrap them around the axle and stick them together and then just snap the ratchet on them.

Its also worth noting that with a strap, you definitely want them snug, but you shouldnt be hossing on the ratchet to the point that you are pre-loading the strap.

That's what I'm going to also. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

I use an axle strap with a thick nylon abrasion guard. They cost ~$5/ea off ebay - even claim to have a lifetime warranty but ive never cared to try and warrant them..

I keep spares in the trailer box. But I usually get 1-2 years out of a strap even though mine ride on the spring perch mount.

Ive also got some older ones from AW direct - they are extremely good quality - but they cost a tad more. But their weight is evident and the ends are magnetic so your wrap them around the axle and stick them together and then just snap the ratchet on them.

Its also worth noting that with a strap, you definitely want them snug, but you shouldnt be hossing on the ratchet to the point that you are pre-loading the strap.

I use a short section of old fire hose to protect my axle straps on the rear axle and a transport chain on the front axle.

Same here, I use axle straps / loops with a thick abrasion guard from Macs. I loop them through wherever I can fit it, even between the coil spring perch and knuckle on 80s land cruiser without issue.

I do like chain, but straps are easier/lighter to deal with.

I’m debating new axle straps using a straight pull vs my preferred cross pull.
You shouldn't be crossing the straps. You should be pulling in a straight line as much as possible.

Old habits die hard... I’m hoping to use that approach and avoid this situ again (also getting some fire hose too!).
I wasn't going to open the can..but think about what happens if a single strap fails. The cross pull actually side loads the suspension and a bump that uncompressed springs the strap will actually pull the load sideways towards off the trailer.

I believe I have 20 feet or so of fire hose left, I'm near Charlotte, I'd be willing to give away sections of it. I just went to our local fire station and they gave it to me. Shoot me a PM if interested, ill be back in town end of the week.

Thanks again to all!

im going to call my local VFD to see what I can track down.

@No fries i may take you up on that, but we’d have to work out shipping. I’m over in Wake Forest and don’t get out your wat very often.

Ditto! Got 2 sets of those from someone here that was selling bulk and LOVE them!

Back