Balanced my Boggers with Water/AF

bigmackloud

Hey,

just thought i'd share the good results. I finally tried the water/antifreeze trick for balancing my 35x14.5 Boggers. I used 8oz, but if i were to do it again i'd probably do 10oz just to be on the safe side. took it out on 540 this afternoon, up to ~70mph, and they ran smooth. very happy.

and we even found an easy way to get the water inside the tire. basically removed the valve from the stem, and let the air out of the tire. then we had a vacumn canister and an air hose. hooked the line from the canister to the valve stem, and actually created a vacumn inside the tire. pinched off the line and disconnected it from the canister, and dropped the line into a bottle with the water/AF. the vacumn inside the tire sucked the water into the tire. that simple! did all four tires in no tire flat.

it's been a productive week working on the CJ. replaced a spring perch, rebuilt my oil pump, got a new radiator, fabbed a coolant overflow tank, replaced the springs in my dizzy for quicker advance, changed the oil, replaced the coil, balanced the tires, and even put on a couple of new stickers! all in preperation for the CJ's maiden voyage to Uwharrie this weekend! we'll see how she holds together!

happy trails,
bigmac

Another way to easily get the water in is to pull the valve core, let the air out. Then put a jack under the axle and just start to lift the rig. That's how I've been doing it.

Glad it worked for ya... :)

Hey,

what's the # again . . . 1-800-Caver-Dave's-axles, lol. no, i'm thinking positively. "i won't break my axle . . . i won't break my axle . . ." besides, it's 50% mental, right? lol

later,
bigmac

Yeap, 50% mental... :lol:
Maybe on the street?
Maybe on flat trails?
Maybe even at URE... (if it's dry, you bypass RML/Daniel & you drive with an egg under the pedal)?
Maybe you'll be the guy that never breaks a D30 shaft? (Just like all the guys running 37"s on their D35 rears that've "never broken" :rolleyes: )

I'm running 33x12.50 Swampers on my 30, but I do have an automatic to "cushion" the blow (*AND* spare axles)! :D

Hey,

well you'll be happy to hear i survived Uwharrie today. didn't go to crazy with it, but i did make it up daniel including that tough ledge. fairly proud of me, my open differentials, and d30, lol. i did lose my brakes at the top (sorta) of daniel. had to get a guy to anchor me as i came back down, not that my CJ is exactly a runaway in low range and granny gear, lol. but don't get rid of those D30 shafts just yet, there's always next time, lol.

happy trails,
bigmac

keep the dana 30 till it exploides. youd probly be surprised at how long it lasts, espically open, unless you get on wheel spinning and just bounce it on something, then BBAAMMM

tyler

Back