Ball Joint Dana 60 Cross Over Steering Build

rebel4x469

A PM Will Get A Faster Response.
i know this isnt a huge build but i still believe it is a good build project.

i have a 1992 f350 that has the ball joint dana 60. as you all probably know, you cant do crossover with it as-is. and since these axles are going to get more and more popular being thats what will be hitting the junk yards now, i figure alot of people will be wanting to do this. i have done a ton of research. you have a few choices.

offroadunlimited has a kit. it is a little more than $600. but it comes with some DOM and tie rods for the drag link.

skymanufacturing has a similiar kit. it is $475. but i called them and they said it would be about $325 without the DOM and tie rods. this is probably the option i am going with.

i did talk to brandon at RIDES. he can have a knuckle done.

there is a few more companies out making similar kits.

i am building my own heim joint steering. that is why i dont wont the DOM and tie rods offered in most kits.

so the first thing to do is tear the front end apart.

CIMG1253.jpg

this is how the knuckle looks now.

CIMG1254.jpg

if you go with an online company, you haft to mail your knuckle to them, they will mill the top down and drill some holes and bolt an arm on. offroadunlimited welds theres. and they mail it back to you.
so this will take me a little bit to complete. but i will show everything i can.

oh yeah, the reason i am doing this is, the factory steering is horrible when you lift and have big tires. i have a 3inch front shackle lift, and with just that the drag link will rub the leaf spring in a decent flex. and i have put 3 sets of tie rods on with about 40k miles. they just wear out fast.

with the shackle lift i got, it came with a drop bracket for the panhard bar. but it doesnt fit good. so i am going to build one of those too.

Check your clearances at the knuckle before you go through with this.

With the kingpin axles, it's tough to get the drag link tucked in next to the spring if it's bolted to the bottom of the high steer arm. If you bolt it to the top, it hits the frame when the PS stuffs.

i thought heims were suppose to be really tuff?

They are strong but since they arent protected with a boot and grease like the TREs they will wear the teflon insert out. On my steering I grease them every week with wd4o or teflon spray and they have lasted a year on my DD. The ones on the draglink are starting to get loose though.

i mailed the knuckle to oregon. $32.50
took a week to get there, only took a few days for them to finish and call for payment.
it was $326 shipped back.
so thats $358.50 for that part.
i should have it by the weekend and will post pics of it.

got the knuckle today. from the day i shipped it it took a week to get to them, a few days for them to call, and a week to get back to me.
CIMG1302.jpg

CIMG1303.jpg

CIMG1304.jpg

had to buy a full piece of dom. $190
built the drag link and panhard bar. just haft to finish the tie rod. the hardest part of this is boring 4 holes out for 3/4 bolts. i burnt up a brand new 18v dewalt drill today that i bought for this. its going back to home depot tomorrow.
CIMG1320.jpg

CIMG1321.jpg

358.50 knuckle
190 dom
approx 130 heims and parts
around $20 3/4 bolts etc.
a little over $700 not counting all the stuff i have bought mainly for this.
ball joint press
drill
3/4 bits
and more

pretty costly but i like doing it, it looks better and should definetly be stronger.
just a figure on cost of made pieces
$80 for tie rod
$65 drag link
$56 panhard bar

No one I know of locally is machining BJ knuckles for hi steer arms.

yeah its an adjuster. i figured it would be easier and more precise in adjusting.
i went with sky because their design is very beefy. brandon said the design he would do wouldnt be as heavy. and he couldnt tell me a price, he just said a guesstament of $400. and skys was $326. so cheaper or about the same, but skys looked superior to what i think brandon could have done. it really is a very nice design.

i didnt know ballistic had this kit yet. what would be the difference of buying it from them, i dont see it being any cheaper. their heims and parts are about the same or a little higher than i got them for.

well i ordered some milwaukee bits and they came today. i spent hours doing 1 hole and working on the second with a greenlee and some cnc machinist bit. the milwaukee bit is awesome. finished the second hole and the last 2 in no time. i wished i had of just bought a good bit before. i have a couple new 3/4 milwaukees if anyone needs one.
almost done
the second picture is a toggle switch panel i made a while back. just thought i would show it

Back