Beach camping/Driving in NC

Zane Pearce

Me and the lady have a couple of days off around July 4th and she brought up the idea of heading to the outer Banks and getting some sand on the jeep, we do alot of tent and hammock camping butrip I've never actually been to that part of the coast. If is feasible to head out there and find a decent place to stay or should we find a campground? Also what areas are the best to drive on? I'm avoiding the use of a ferry because we may be arriving late in the evening.

Thanks for any input!

I don't think your able to camp any where on the beach other then Carolina beach and places you can farry to

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can camp at fort macon in designated areas. Cape lookout is a good one, but you better bring some type of shade

Okay we have been looking into different options and it does look like our best bet may be to take a ferry to Cape lookout, anyone ever camped out there and does anyone have an idea of what it costs to get a tj onto he island?

Go out at lest once a year, will be on Portsmouth Island next weekend.

2 ferries out of Davis NC

Davis ferry will cost you $85 for the rig and $16 per person round trip.

Cape Lookout Cabins and Camps ferry is $80 for your rig and $16/person.

I've used both and they are great people, if you have a trailer I would go with the 2nd one, their ferry is drive through where as Davis's is drive on back off or the other way around.

Portsmouth Island is north of there and 1 ferry services it from Atlantic, Morris marina. $75/rig and $14/person.

Cape Lookout has the llighthouse and buildings scattered around and is bigger and better for fishing. Portsmouth island has a nicer village.

No permits of other fees, only thing sold on the Islands is Fuel and ice.

Portsmouth

village from top of rescue station
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m631_SHOOKROR_IMAG0204.jpg
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m631_SHOOKROR_IMAG0208_1.jpg

Cape lookout

They painted the lighthouse last year, this pic is 6yrs old
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m631_SHOOKROR_DSCF3297.jpg

woke up everyday with the water less than 20ft from my door, take a tide chart so you don't set up camp below the tide line.
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m631_SHOOKROR_DSCF3186.jpg

New setup
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m631_SHOOKROR_Cape_20Lookout_20April_202015_IMG_0255.jpg
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m631_SHOOKROR_Cape_20Lookout_20April_202015_IMG_0253.jpg
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m631_SHOOKROR_Cape_20Lookout_20April_202015_IMG_0283.jpg

Looks nice, I think cape lookout will be good for us cause we don't wanna do much fishing we just wanna cruise out and find us a nice place to stay, nice to hear gas is sold on both islands.

What's the heat in the evenings like this time of year?

This will be my first trip out in the summer, I usually only go in the spring and the fall, fishing is better and temps are milder, from the weather reports I've seen the lows at night will be in the high 60s to low 70s, shouldn't be too bad. A nice breeze is almost always blowing on the beach so that should help too.

Back