Best brake controller?

untchabl

On the rocks
Looking for opinions on which brake controller to get now that I'm almost done with my new tow rig project. So far I've looked at the Prodigy P2 and P3 controllers. My brother has the P2 and it's a good box, but I'm looking for more opinions/options before I buy.

I have the P2. No complaints. The P3 might be better, but I have no frame of reference. I just know they're a hell of a lot better than everything else out there.

What actually makes a "good" brake controller? I've been running an Agility (not sure the model) to stop a 22' toy hauler and it does everything that I need it for. What other options are there?
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160527_33e28e47eb5b97adb0a9c7cc3238c8d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What actually makes a "good" brake controller? I've been running an Agility (not sure the model) to stop a 22' toy hauler and it does everything that I need it for. What other options are there?View attachment 219389

How does it work at all if it's mounted on its side like that??

I have had a Prodigy P2 for quit a while now...pulled several different types of trailers with it. It has done everything I have ever wanted it too. The way the pendulum proportioning feature works is very smooth and effective, no jerking or anything like that...if you barely put the brakes on in the tow vehicle it swings the pendulum in it a little therefor applying little trailer brakes...if you pop your trucks brakes on it applies a lot to the trailer. It has preset "starting points" for your trailers weight because a 1-ton dually pulling 5k probably needs less brakes than a Tacoma pulling 8k. The "old" style controllers apply the trailer brakes at the rate you set no matter how fast or slow you need to slow down! I hope all this makes sense, Im a master of confusion.

How does it work at all if it's mounted on its side like that??
If it's a time based instead of inertia based most don't care which way they're mounted. I hated my time based agility controller on my old truck. I was going to pick up a p3 but picked up a brand new tow rig instead with factory brake controller,. I can't even tell there's a trailer back there now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If it's a time based instead of inertia based most don't care which way they're mounted. I hated my time based agility controller on my old truck. I was going to pick up a p3 but picked up a brand new tow rig instead with factory brake controller,. I can't even tell there's a trailer back there now.

I'm 95% sure that the one in the picture is intertia-based. It's supposed to be mounted level side to side and square with the truck. That's the only way the pendulum works.

I'm 95% sure that the one in the picture is intertia-based. It's supposed to be mounted level side to side and square with the truck. That's the only way the pendulum works.
I understand how they work but I had an agility time based controller that looked basically the same. I'm on a cell phone so the pic is a little hard to make out. If it's in fact inertia based it shouldn't be working at all for sure.

Had my P2 for many years, and has worked great.

I'm not 100% sure how the time based operate but I'm almost positive mine is inertia based. Hmm, I wonder how it is working then. ???

I've got a proportional Agility myself. Got it from Advance Auto a few years ago. It's nice that it's not so damn fancy that it's difficult to operate. You just set the sensitivity and braking level and go on about your business. I'm looking to get another one for my 2500HD. They're less than 100 bucks too, which is nice.

P2 here, the new tow rig came with a time based agility which didn't take long for me to throw it against a brick wall. IMO a proportional controller is the only way to go. I looked at the p3 but the extra features vs the P2 didn't intrigue me any.

Tekonsha voyager. That's been my go to for 15 years.
We use Tekonsha controllers at work (Ford/Chrysler dealer) and out of all the farmers and contractors I've installed controllers for, never heard a complaint.

We have actually had more complaints about the factory controllers. None of the older ones could handle electric over hydraulic brakes. The newer ones supposedly can, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

If you don't like your controller hanging off your dash like a shin-catching dog nut, the Hopkins Insight is a nice unit. I got mine because I needed a controller that morning, Auto Zone had it in stock, and I already had the Hopkins harness adapter for my Yukon. I've heard great things about the Prodigy and had considered buying one, but have zero regrets about going with the Hopkins. You can get as slick as you want with the installation, as the pieces are all separate and the control module can mount behind the console or kick panel.

Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Hopkins Brake Controller HM47297

I bought a Techonsha Primus IQ because it's portable. I tow a little popup with the jeep and didn't want a controller permanently mounted. Also bough the plug and play harness for my wife's Yukon xl but haven't used it in there.

I bought a Techonsha Primus IQ because it's portable. I tow a little popup with the jeep and didn't want a controller permanently mounted. Also bough the plug and play harness for my wife's Yukon xl but haven't used it in there.

We have 4 of these, one in each of our suburbans and in my Avalanche. Works great for the $, and have never had any trouble.

It has a roller knob for adjusting peak voltage, 3 boost levels to adjust how quick it gets to that voltage, and a panic slide button.

It is inertia based so make sure you mount according to instructions.

I adjust voltage and then use no "boost " when empty and then boost 1 in town, boost 2 on the flat hwy, and boost 3 in the mountains.

Back