Best Tow Rig Tire?

^ I have 36,000 miles on that same tire on my Dodge and there has to be atleast 50% tread left... I just wish they made them larger... I've been patiently waiting for these to wear out so I can pick up a larger tire but now I think they'll last at least another year or two.

IMHO you cannot beat a Mich tire for road and towing use. they can do some off roading but not like a BFG A/T of course. A great all around tire has to be the BFG A/T. If the truck is a 2WD I suggest Mich's, If it is a 4WD and see minor dirt to some trails basically anything more than your yard and the street I suggest the BFG A/T's

Looking for my 1999 5.9 Durango 4x4. It was my wife's first vehicle when she got out of college and now it's the tow rig for my heep. Anyway the tires are 31's at the moment which is not what came factory and I'd like to go back to stock to gain some MPG back. Also I only drive it through the yard to grab the trailer, lots of highway, and the good old Uwharrie dust roads. So it's a street rig all though I have put it in 4Low on occasion to get out of my yard. The BFG ATs are nice but I don't need that much traction.

Any other tires you guys like??

my dad has the goodyear silent armor a/t on his super duty and all he does is tow and drive around for his business and fishing and he has put almost 60K miles on those tires this year. I think he is going to get a new set next week.

I just got a set of pro comp a/t on my cummins but i doubt i have even put 3K miles on them yet so I do not have enough feedback to say whether or not they are good tires. they do ride a hell of a lot smoother than my last set of tires though. I do a lot of towing and driving for my bass fishing tournaments so I should know before too long how good they are.

since this was orginally posted nitto has came out with a dura grappler. its a nice towing tire. ive put some on duallys and they seem to be holding out nice.

i like firestone transport at's they are stiff and wear really good. They last about 11000 for me and thats a lot stock tires on my 07 ctd 2500 lasted 4000 and they are somewhat cheap

I've got Nitto TerraGrapplers on my 250. They are holding up pretty good (16k miles over half tread) and have better than expected traction off the pavement.

Next set will be Dura-grapplers. It looks like a perfect tire for towing/treadlife. Good reviews as well.

I also run the Terra Grapplers on my tow rig they were the only E load tire I could find in the size I wanted. I have about 10,000mi no issues and over 3/4 tread left and there surprisingly good in the mud, snow, and rain I've never had an all terrain grip like these in the rain. I have had a couple sets of BF Goody A/T also good tire but the two sets I've had both cupped very badly at about 30,000mi

I guess I'll throw in another opinion since I am on my fourth set of tires now! (90K miles)

First set: stock, rode quiet but looked tiny, replaced after like 10 miles (couldn't stand how dinky they looked on the truck)

Second set: Goodyear Wrangler Silent armors (already commented on them in this thread, good tires)

Third set: Dick Cepek mud terrains (I wanted an aggressive tread tire in load range E) loud but not intolerable, got louder with wear, wore out pretty fast (expected that though with a mud terrain on a heavy rig) great mud traction

Fourth (current) set: Michelin LTX M&S look a LOT less aggressive than the mud terrains did but WOW do they ever ride smooth and quiet! I see why so many people run them around here! I love them so far! They have been wearing well, have decent traction, and are super quiet and smooth, definitely recommend them! (I believe I have 36k on them now)

For reference, my truck is an 07 Silverado Classic, extended cab, shortbed, SRW, 2500HD, Duramax 4x4. The trailer I usually tow is a one car 20' trailer with anywhere between 3000-6000lbs on it (depending on what I happen to be towing) so, about 5000-8000lb total trailer weight.

I have BFG AT's on a Ford F250 4 wheel drive. About 40% of the 52000 miles on these tires are towing and or with a 9.5 foot slide-in camper. Now almost all the miles are towing/camping. I expect I will need to replace these tires at 70,000 miles or so. Traction is pretty good even dragging the jeep and trailer in the mud, the truck bed empty or unloaded. Won't say these are the best tires but these tires are definately top on my list of tires as replacement.

Another thought, seems a lot of people like BFG's or Michelin. Could be because Michelin is the parent company of Goodrich. Who knows, the tires may have a lot of the same properties.

I work/sell tires for a living.... personally I like the tread on the dura grapplers. we sell a ton of terra grapplers in the 285's... michelin has a 70k warrenty on the new ms2's the commercial tracton ta from bfg has a 50k on them... but if your wanting something decent... Firestone has a good tire that is reasonable. you WILL pay for a michelin but it is a GREAT tire.
Popularity at my work:
Nitto Terra's
Firestone Destination AT
Michelin MS2's
bfg ko's
bfg km2's
michelin AT2's

Im not trying to sell anything here just giving my little bit of knowledge

I tried searching for the Michelin MS2 and found out they don't make them in a 15. Looks like I'll be looking for the regular LTX MS version.

I've got Nitto TerraGrapplers on my 250. They are holding up pretty good (16k miles over half tread) and have better than expected traction off the pavement.
Next set will be Dura-grapplers. It looks like a perfect tire for towing/treadlife. Good reviews as well.

Well, I went ahead and switched. These Dura's are beefier than expected. 1/2" of tread. Smooth as silk.

I've got these 286/75R16D for sale if anyone wants them. $275 is bottom dollar. 38% worn to be exact.

Just picked up a new set of Michelin LTX MS2's for my tow rig. Pretty excited since the off-brand all terrains were driving me nuts!?! (cupped/belts thrown/one bald one/slow leak in another) Anyway it's a dream to drive the rig with these tires, now just to get new rotors up front so the smooth ride can continue when I'm slowing down as well. I'll keep ya updated on their wear over time.

Yeah they're not the most exciting tire on the planet but I'm shooting for more reliability and cash in the pocket than pumping up the ol' ego.

awww.tirerack.com_images_tires_michelin_mi_ltx_ms2_ci2_l.jpg

and here's a small write-up about them --> http://www.customrigsmag.com/tire-review-michelin-ltx-ms2/

Back