Best way to do audio books.

WARRIORWELDING

Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.
Looking for the best audio book route. I want to stream them in my shop while working at times....or if I'm stuck in a road trip.
Open to suggestions. Really prefer a way to own or replay at will. Must be able to Bluetooth to my ear buds or shop speaker.
Pod cast actually don't present a narrow enough band width of my interest at the moment. I've got a few topics I'm hoping to nerd out on.

I don't have time to dedicate paper reading juggling my business and family. So every now and again I can land some work that allows me to be productive and listen to some content.

Looking for device and buying options or do you call it libraries?

Buy author direct and down load?

Is this limited due to lack of narrated editions?
Also trying to avoid monotone computer like voices.....I'll just zone out.

Amazon audible is what i use. I'm not a huge podcast person but yet they are free and some are decent and there are a lot of apps for listening, i use stitcher.

Amazon audible is what i use. I'm not a huge podcast person but yet they are free and some are decent and there are a lot of apps for listening, i use stitcher.
Is this with Prime or a whole other transaction and fee? Yes lazy question on this one.

Is this with Prime or a whole other transaction and fee? Yes lazy question on this one.
It's another monthly subscription and you still have to pay for a fair amount of books but there are a lot for free and you also get credits that go towards purchasing. So not the cheapest thing in the world but the best collection. We listen to long ones while driving makes trip less shitty

I do podcasts thru Spotify and audio books thru the audiobooks feature thru the apple app.

I look thru episode description at night on wifi and download the episode on wifi so I can listen while driving or at work on my earbuds. I often don’t have good enough service to stream them. This way I create a list to listen to for podcasts that is curated based on what seems to be interesting.

Same goes for audiobooks, pay for and download ahead of time so I can listen without streaming.

Bc they are on my phone I can Bluetooth to whatever or play thru the truck or my earbuds.

Some Rogan, Andrew huberman, and a lot of jocko for podcasts. A lot of my audiobooks are ones covered by jocko and rogan after They have authors on to go thru the books quickly on the podcast then If it’s a good episode, I’ll then get the book and listen.

Another option for books is hoopla.
It’s through the county libraries so if you don’t have one you have to get a library card.
Then you can download almost any book for free. App is free also. Only “catch” is 1 or 2 books at a time. And after 30 days you have to “recheck out” the book. It’s just like an old school library but for audio books.

Same goes for audiobooks, pay for and download ahead of time so I can listen without streaming.

Bc they are on my phone I can Bluetooth to whatever or play thru the truck or my earbuds.

Some Rogan, Andrew huberman, and a lot of jocko for podcasts. A lot of my audiobooks are ones covered by jocko and rogan after They have authors on to go thru the books quickly on the podcast then If it’s a good episode, I’ll then get the book and listen.
I resonate with all of this...

It’s through the county libraries so if you don’t have one you have to get a library card.
Then you can download almost any book for free. App is free also. Only “catch” is 1 or 2 books at a time. And after 30 days you have to “recheck out” the book. It’s just like an old school library but for audio books.
this sounds cool.......as in all sorts of subject matter. I could even get some Shakespeare and follow it with some Poe, finish it off with How to Grow Raspberries.

In all seriousness does it cover stuff like the literal library?

this sounds cool.......as in all sorts of subject matter. I could even get some Shakespeare and follow it with some Poe, finish it off with How to Grow Raspberries.

In all seriousness does it cover stuff like the literal library?
To be fair I have only listened or looked for non fiction books. I know all of Jocko’s stuff is on there for example. But never looked for fiction.

My library card expired in June and I can’t ge back in the app until I renew it so I can’t check

My wife has an audiobook/podcast going for the majority of the day. She did Audible for a while and liked it a lot I think. I might have heard her mention Hoopla before and I know she also uses Overdrive for a ton of stuff from our local library and still has access with her Charleston library card as well.

Somehow she can carry on a conversation, do whatever task she needs to do and fully retain every detail of whatever she’s listening to. I think I tired once to listen to something during my workday and I got no work done and couldn’t remember one word of what I listened to.

My wife has an audiobook/podcast going for the majority of the day. She did Audible for a while and liked it a lot I think. I might have heard her mention Hoopla before and I know she also uses Overdrive for a ton of stuff from our local library and still has access with her Charleston library card as well.

Somehow she can carry on a conversation, do whatever task she needs to do and fully retain every detail of whatever she’s listening to. I think I tired once to listen to something during my workday and I got no work done and couldn’t remember one word of what I listened to.
Yeah that’s me I can’t work and listen. But I can “relax” and listen at 5x speed and retain or drive and listen at 1.5x and retain

We do audible. I don’t like that I have to pay monthly for it, but my wife listens to tons of books while we’re on long car rides.

Pretty sure you can get them through the library too though.

Somehow she can carry on a conversation, do whatever task she needs to do and fully retain every detail of whatever she’s listening to.
Either you got it, or you don't! She got it!

We do audible. I don’t like that I have to pay monthly for it, but my wife listens to tons of books while we’re on long car rides.

Pretty sure you can get them through the library too though.
Yeah my hang up is a monthly subscription. I have investigated Premier Audiobook. I like the idea of owning what ever I want to here. For some reason this appeals to me over a borrowing thing. I perceive not devouring some books and taking my sweet time getting through them. I'm also a guy who tends to read, reread, and even pick something up a year or two latter to repeat. Even pod cast I catch myself rewinding and listening often more than once.

A subscription or even a club fee may not offset the lack of frequency. The library apps seem pretty darn neat if the Read I want are available. Some small investigation has yielded a few results that disappoint. Authors that have published short summaries instead of the full edition by the original author.

Some small investigation has yielded a few results that disappoint. Authors that have published short summaries instead of the full edition by the original author.
this is one frustrating parts of hoopla. For every title there are 5 cliff note summaries. It’s easier to search by author name and that helps

Really wanted to try this one. But, my library is not listed.

Libby was another option. Our library used to use it then switched to hoopla.

Our bee association meets at our county library, I will (bee) going early and asking some questions.

Back