Best way to widen a trailer deck?

ajbirkennewaccount

I just picked up a new to me trailer. It's a 18' proline trailer. 16' flat and 2' dove.

It looks pretty much like this one (http://www.southag.com/Trailers/ps165.htm) and has the same specs except that it has 6K axles with UTG wheels (funky 5 bolt pattern with 14.5" rims).

The deck width is now 78" and I would like to add about 3" to either side in front and back of the wheels obviously. I don't want to just lay a big chunk of steel across the entire deck for weight reasons (the trailer is already a pretty heavy pig).

I was thinking I could cut out "slats" in a plate that goes across the deck to reduce the weight OR just modify some rocksliders and attach them to the C-channel.

I would NEVER have an entire tire/rig supported by the extension. It would just keep the edges of the tires from hanging over. I will be running a fullsize rig (71 Jimmy most likely)with CUCV axles and hopefully tires no wider than 13.5". I can fit my M1008 with 36x10.5" tires now without hanging over the edges (just barely)

Just looking for cheap, creative, strong ideas from you guys.

Thanks,

adam

I fit my fullsize on my trailer with 3"+ of tire hanging off either side. I am running 38.5x16 TSLs on 10" wide beadlocks with 2 3/4" backspacing. It doesn't get much wider unless you go to Dueces.

I plan to widen mine eventually- I was thinking about just welding some 2x2 angle iron to the outside of the stake pockets and gusseting it every couple of feet. The weight of the truck mainly sits on the actaul frame rails of the trailer, so it should be OK...

I just picked up a new to me trailer. It's a 18' proline trailer. 16' flat and 2' dove.
It looks pretty much like this one (http://www.southag.com/Trailers/ps165.htm) and has the same specs except that it has 6K axles with UTG wheels (funky 5 bolt pattern with 14.5" rims).
The deck width is now 78" and I would like to add about 3" to either side in front and back of the wheels obviously. I don't want to just lay a big chunk of steel across the entire deck for weight reasons (the trailer is already a pretty heavy pig).
I was thinking I could cut out "slats" in a plate that goes across the deck to reduce the weight OR just modify some rocksliders and attach them to the C-channel.
I would NEVER have an entire tire/rig supported by the extension. It would just keep the edges of the tires from hanging over. I will be running a fullsize rig (71 Jimmy most likely)with CUCV axles and hopefully tires no wider than 13.5". I can fit my M1008 with 36x10.5" tires now without hanging over the edges (just barely)
Just looking for cheap, creative, strong ideas from you guys.
Thanks,
adam
I was looking at one of there trailers new and ended up going with a different one for the same reason, the k5 would not fit.
What I was going to need to do was make the fenders removeable and add to the width. My plan was to take 3" or 4" channel and weld on the sides then a few braces.
The way they make the C on the channel of the trailer out was going to make it hard to do but could be done.
After talking to them and the BS they had to say along with what could and could not be done and not knowing what the price of a trailer tell they get it built if I did not get one on the lot I passed and got a trailer I like and works great, the same one that they said could not be made and the fact no one sells one like it.
I will look and see if I have the plans that I had to fix there trailer for width.
Does your trailer have anything other then the channel on the out side. Some have pockets or tie downs....
J

If it has stake pocket, put some angle out there and slap a piece of decking on it. There is no real weight anyway unless you miss when loading. If there are no stake pockets, put a piece of 3X3 on it and call it good. 12 foot of .120 wall 3x3 is pretty light.

It's got two stake pockets on each side, but they are cut through the C-channel so they don't stick out any.

And they block the ability to put a solid piece of angle on the underside of the channel.

And for the fenders, you could use a little bit of tube going over them so your tires drive on that, and not on the fender.. :)

Not sure of "the best way", but I welded 3"x3"x1/4" angle iron on mine. Has worked fine for several years. Worked fine for several years before I widened it too, just decided I needed to widen it when I went from 12.50s to 18.5s :)

I butt welded channel to the side of mine, and run new channel all down the side. Works fine for many years. Full width, 39.5 boggers.

I did not put anything on mine, if you have more than half the tire on the trailer, I don't see the problem. You drive over rocks with just the edge of your tire anyway. Long as you are not over 102 in, it's no problem.

I did not put anything on mine, if you have more than half the tire on the trailer, I don't see the problem. You drive over rocks with just the edge of your tire anyway. Long as you are not over 102 in, it's no problem.
What he said, just let it hang over. You're not parking on the trailer tires anyways.
Your binders should hold the rig on the trailer anyway.

I do the same thing, let it hang over. However, I would like to widen my trailer also. From a safety standpoint, what if one of your binders fails? You hit a chunk hole in the road and your rig bounces a little. Doesn't take a whole lot and you have a big mess on your hands.

I do the same thing, let it hang over. However, I would like to widen my trailer also. From a safety standpoint, what if one of your binders fails? You hit a chunk hole in the road and your rig bounces a little. Doesn't take a whole lot and you have a big mess on your hands.
Yeah but that's when the fun starts, you get to boil the tires while trying to get all 4 back on deck!:wheel:

Cant find them sorry.
Your in raleigh? What part? I'm NE 401 / 540
If you want to stop over sometime I could show you what I was going to do better if you bring your trailer we could hold some steel up to it.
Jon

No problem.

Thanks for the offer to help. That's one of the reasons these boards are great. What's your schedule like? I am pretty busy but would love to brainstorm with you about it sometime.

adam

Back