Beware!!!!!

R Q

It's that time of year!
Worked at my home Saturday cleaning up debris from a very hectic spring schedule (I'm a landscaper) and had piles of crap to get rid of. Saturday was uneventful except for the hard work.
Sunday I'm blowing off the driveway and had to move two logs that I worked around all day yesterday and after I moved one I was covered up with Yellowjackets.
The little MFers went up my shorts and shirt and I was dancing around the backyard and cussing like the old man on Christmas Story. Got over 20 stings and although I'm not allergic to them I made a "BEE" line to the Benadryl and antiseptic.
Both legs and right arm look like Popeye the Sailerman.
Food is scarce for the little critters so be careful on the trail and at home. At least my son didn't get into them.
And by the way, my pesticide license and professional experience came in REAL handy afterwards!
Yellowjackets 20, RQ 2000!

Dang RQ! I bet you are all plumped up! I hate those little bastards. I ran over a huge nest with my tractor while plowing foodplots last year, got me real good. I bet you put the smackdown on em' after you got away.:D

YUP, i found 2 nests just this weekend, took care of both. There was one in the woods not long after i was down there 3-4 weeks ago, bam new nest... Luckily it was raining hard that day, as i draged stuff right over the nest... Course i was tring to clear leaves away with a long stick for easier future sneek atact and 1 got me twice in the neck.... Im not usually bothered by em but damn if they didnt swell up bad..

What's good to put on them ??

I normally use a few cups of keroseen or diesel (NOT LIT ON FIRE)
But ive got 1 nest around some shrubs id like to not kill...

any ideas??

yager said:
I normally use a few cups of keroseen or diesel (NOT LIT ON FIRE)
But ive got 1 nest around some shrubs id like to not kill...
any ideas??
You can't buy the pesticides that I can. Mine are quick and very lethel.
The best thing to do is to identify the spot where they are entering the ground or their nest and make sure you can come back to it after dark. At night all of the workers/gatherers are back in the hive.
To save your shrubs just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get....(I don't know what they sell anymore!), maybe some liquid Sevin, Malathion, something that is listed for Bees. Get two 5 gallon buckets and drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of ONE of them. Mix up a STRONG potion of the insecticide in the good bucket. Place the bucket with a hole in it over the nest entrance and pour the insecticide mixture in it. The slow drip will saturate the nest and kill the bees.
Be careful, the bees are not active at night but that doesn't mean they won't try to defend their nest. Don't use the buckets to make ice cream or beer after you do the deed or you'll do a deed on yourself!
The wasp/hornet spray is basically kerosene and only kills bees that it contacts and it will kill shrubs.

I found one Sat. AM... backed the rider out of the shed to put the pushmower up and noticed a bunch "bugs" swarming around the rider. Didn't look close at the time (I thought it was a swarm of pecker gnats), but very happy I did before I got back on the rider! They were the very small yellowjackets (slighlt larger than white rice) and would've lit me up! Bumped it into neutral and pushed it back far enough to see the hole... was only about 1" in dia., but took a whole gallon of 2cycle mix to fill... poured me a trail of white gas back about 10' and lit their arses up good!! :D Pounded a dogwood glut down the hole to keep the them out too!

After the hornet fiasco last year, it's open season around my house :smokin:

yager said:

brake or carb cleaner melts them instantly. I found a nest under one rail on my bro's pool, he had no bee spray so I grabbed brake cleaner and sprayed the nest, the nest litterally melted and instantly killed all the bees.

Back