BFG MT or Goodyear MT For Street?

J.C.

Volunteer
BFG MT or Goodyear MT For Street '05 TJ?

My friend is looking for a recommendation for mainly street use tires. Since I'm not familiar with these tires I thought I'd throw it out to the experts :)

"Now for my question. If I want to do mostly road driving, say 90/10 or 95/5, would the best tires be the Goodyear MT/R or BFG AT/MT KO? I am pretty sure I will do some offroading but not nearly as much as you do, and would rather err toward having great street tires than trail tires."

Just my opinion but I think the BFG MT's wear better on the road and clean out better in the mud. If you don't sipe the BFG's they can hydroplane @ speed on the road but some of my buddies with MTR's have the same problem. MTR's have a stronger sidewall and grip the rocks better.

I have both (on different trucks) and would say that the MTR's are quieter and do better in the rain/wet stuff. Can't say about snow as one truck is a convertible and the other is locked up so they don't see much ice/snow.

Both have worn well.

I think that the MTRs look better as well.

If I was going to drive 90 to 95% on road I would get the BFG all terrain KO. Wears really well, are very round, are pretty good off road, and very good in the rain and snow. (Best snow tire I've used). It was nothing to drive 50+ in fresh snow on the interstate back in CO.

What rattlecan said. I've got a set on my DD with at least 40,000 miles on em, and they've still got 35-45% tread left, and for being streetish tires, they do pretty good offroad. They've seen mud and sand and a run through Uwharrie, and I'm impressed enough to be dropping $800 on another set when these wear out

I am with them ^^^^ AT KO's. I would not buy another set of BFG M/T's for a dailey driver. I have right at 24,000 miles on my set and they are worn out!! $1000 down the drain. Going with AT's on the F350 this time.

Steve

I had a set of BFG mts a few years ago and now I run BFG ATs since I work too much/wheel too little. I would definately say that the At's are better for average daily driving. I personally never cared about how loud the muds were or anything like that but in the rain I felt like I was one hard brake away from death way too often. If you dont need the mudders at's are the way to go for street. I got about a good 30K on the muds though for mostly street which I thought was solid.

Not to hijack John's thread but you guys who had the wear problems with your BFG MT's were they the older style? The reason I ask is because I have the KM's and have got 35k miles on mine and still there is >60% tread left. Thanks!

(Recent pic)

100_9316.JPG

Yea they were old style, I drove them till 40k but they had definately seen enough at that point. I am about to start building my TJ up. The old muds were on a YJ I sold. If your KMs do that well with milage on them I will definately consider running them when I do tires next. Thanks Joel for the info.

I ran a set of BFG muds for atleast 20,000 miles, with a locked rear. they could have gone at least another 10,000 miles, but i lifted the jeep more and purchased another set of BFG Muds. 35's. My dad has a F-350 will BFG muds. they are wearing fast, but i think alot of that comes from the weight of his truck, plus the tools and trailers that he hauls around. He only bought muds b/c the a/t's were on national backorder when he had to have new tires

I ran the AT's on my chevy 1500's (3 of them) and they were great. got about 40k or more out of each set. They were awesome in snow and light-medium offroading in Michigan. I went through about 15" of snow with them while pulling a trailer to get to my cabin up near canada. Also tried to make it across this swamp. Went about 400' until the bottom gave out.....(and I may have had one too many beers) (This was a closed course with a professional driver.) It took a Cat D4 dozer to pull me out along with the tractor and back hoe that we buried.
ai55.photobucket.com_albums_g127_andysleds_truckpic.jpg

Anybody run the Nitto Terra Grappler AT? I am shopping for an AT right now and the BFG's are ~ $40 more per tire. Looking at a 295/75/16, btw. I am looking at putting AT's on the 16x8 stock rubicon wheels for DD. I have 33" MT's on AR767's for wheeling. Sure wish the metric sized tires were as cheap as the 33x12.50x15 AT's, but I really like the stock wheels so ....:beer:

So is the BFG worth $40 more a tire than the Terra Grapplers?:driver:

Seen too many ripped sidewalls to like BFG.

Back