Big block chevy on propane

marcusicp

Anyone out there running a big block chevy on propane? Right now i have a 1150cfm carb on it. It is about 11.5:1 compresion. I run 93 with about a 15%mix of 105 in it now.

I think it would love propane but I cant find a mixer that i think would be big enough for it......any ideas?\

Thanks

How many cubes, and what's your redline?

Reading on the alternative fuels board, more than once guy has used a 425 on a big block and it's worked fine.

Somewhere around is a formula for cfm requirement based on engine ci and redline.

But from the impression I get, you'll want a dual setup.

Will it run, yes, will it get you around in the woods, another yes. Will it run to it's potential, nope!
With the two 435/ Mod E combo you can set the linkage up just like twin carbs. Run on one and when you need it to talk, more push of the pedal and it will!

Just a question? I've noticed on this site the fastenation with propane, Whats the deal here, have I missed something in the last 40 years. I would think you spend all that money on gearing ,lifts an tires, then turn around an cut the balls off the torque?

maverick said:
Just a question? I've noticed on this site the fastenation with propane, Whats the deal here, have I missed something in the last 40 years. I would think you spend all that money on gearing ,lifts an tires, then turn around an cut the balls off the torque?
Even though the propane runs hotter it also runs cleaner so you haven't got all that junk in the engine, etc. When you have had enough carb problems as I have had -- tuning, flooding, etc. a little horsepower loss is a small sacrafice to make for a smooth running engine. No matter what kind of hill you climb you will not have to worry about killing the motor for lack of fuel. That is the biggest advantage.
Crystal

Propane runs cooler... less BTU's than gasoline. It does burn LONGER than gasoline though, hence the recomendations for SS exhault valves. But, unless your carb is tuned PERFECTLY, you'll probably lose little to no power, especially if you spend $10 and re-curve the distributor ;)

Rich said:
Propane runs cooler... less BTU's than gasoline. It does burn LONGER than gasoline though, hence the recomendations for SS exhault valves. But, unless your carb is tuned PERFECTLY, you'll probably lose little to no power, especially if you spend $10 and re-curve the distributor ;)

Please do tell about the re-curve for the distributor.

hears up and pointed your way [listening], i don't have a big block, but my little 350 is in dire need of some help and i purchased a kit off of ebay and starting to do some research... i'm keeping an eye out on this one...

Back