Black Betty - 78 Cheyenne

Well, after 3 trips to O'Reillys and wallering around on the side of the road.... got the new u joint in.

20210506_192603.jpg

20210506_192618.jpg

Got the truck in the shop to replace a piece of trans line.

20210821_152620.jpg

Hoping this fixes thw fluid puking. But.... idk as now it won't crank. Acts like a dead or weak battery, but have confirmed that's not the case. Turn key and get a single click.

Anyway, munchkin is a great helper.

20210830_094122.jpg

20210830_094125.jpg

20210830_094217.jpg

battery connections or starter solenoid. It’s a GM, give it the ole hammer helper test on the starter.
Tried the hammer helper, with a 4 lb. No dice.

Driving this truck to the URE event?

Driving this truck to the URE event?
I wish, but not likely. Not tagged yet and still working out the kinks. I'll have munchkin, so sitting on the side of 109 would not be good. Will either be in the edge if the wife comes, or my dakota.

battery connections or starter solenoid. It’s a GM, give it the ole hammer helper test on the starter.
You got it, solenoid. I think I'm gonna switch to a Ford style solenoid and do away with the one on the starter. With long headers. It's a pain to get to the side of the motor.

You got it, solenoid. I think I'm gonna switch to a Ford style solenoid and do away with the one on the starter. With long headers. It's a pain to get to the side of the motor.
And the added heat of the long tubes doesn’t help anything either unless the starter is shielded or wrapped.

And the added heat of the long tubes doesn’t help anything either unless the starter is shielded or wrapped.
That's my thoughts. Just gotta figure out the stock wiring, then it'll be straight forward.

Anybody wanna show me where to put the hot to spin the starter? I had used a jumper to the brass tube, but now that that seems to short to ground? Confused as hell now.

Anybody wanna show me where to put the hot to spin the starter? I had used a jumper to the brass tube, but now that that seems to short to ground? Confused as hell now.
Just google Chevy starter to Ford solenoid. There’s eleventy articles that spell it out with wiring diagrams.

I swear, if it ain't one thing it's another. Got it started and on the test drive it starts acting like it's not getting enough fuel and stalls out.

I swear, if it ain't one thing it's another. Got it started and on the test drive it starts acting like it's not getting enough fuel and stalls out.
That Edelbrock sitting on top probably has some to do with it (if it's not a clogged up filter). Runs fine cold, then starts acting up when it's warm? Is that about right? You can tune that out, but would be best to start with a refresh of that carb. Looks like it's been on there a while.

That Edelbrock sitting on top probably has some to do with it (if it's not a clogged up filter). Runs fine cold, then starts acting up when it's warm? Is that about right? You can tune that out, but would be best to start with a refresh of that carb. Looks like it's been on there a while.

You hit the nail on the head. I've been hoping to refresh it with a holley. Runs fine cold, but bogs itself out once warmed up. I'm gonna start with replacing the piecemeal fuel line and a new filter. Then go from there. I've never messed with an edlebrock. So far, I'm not terribly impressed.

That's how I've usually refreshed my Edelbrocks, was with a Holley. It's probably in the metering rods, but those can take some learning to get ahead of the curve...Not quite so simple as a Holley. I had one that did exactly the same thing. After a rebuild, it ran pretty darn well. But you've got to strip it down completely and get all the crap out of it. Other Eddys I've had ran decent, but lean as hell up top. That seems to be pretty common with them. I'd prefer them to run a little fat (which I'm sure you know is common for Holley).

Replacing the fuel line and filter is a fine place to start. If you feel like going a step further, put a carb refresh kit in that Edelbrock...it might come around. Otherwise, go ahead and getcha a Holley.

That's how I've usually refreshed my Edelbrocks, was with a Holley. It's probably in the metering rods, but those can take some learning to get ahead of the curve...Not quite so simple as a Holley. I had one that did exactly the same thing. After a rebuild, it ran pretty darn well. But you've got to strip it down completely and get all the crap out of it. Other Eddys I've had ran decent, but lean as hell up top. That seems to be pretty common with them. I'd prefer them to run a little fat (which I'm sure you know is common for Holley).

Replacing the fuel line and filter is a fine place to start. If you feel like going a step further, put a carb refresh kit in that Edelbrock...it might come around. Otherwise, go ahead and getcha a Holley.

I am by no means a carb expert. But I have learned how to tune a holley pretty well. This edlebrock is just a pain.

Last edited:
Back