bleeding rear disk

Lee

ECGS
Ever since I swaped rear disk onto my jeep I have tried everything under the sun to get them bled out properly (yes the bleeder screws are the highest point) I have bled them for hours, speed bled, gravity bled, everything. They just seem to have a never ending supply of air in them. In talking with other people it seems this is not that uncommon of a problem with doing disk and chevy calipers in the rear. Any hints on how to finally get these all bled out?

Park on a steep downhill and try it. It's not so much the discs, it's the brake line routing, as it goes up the frame and then down to the axle...

It took us about 3 times to get Mikey's right, and I can't remember how many times I bled my old brakes...

just trying to get past the obvious (like the bleeders on the high side of the valve)...

you are bleeding the side furthest from the master cylinder first?

should bleed passenger-rear, driver-rear, passenger-front, driver-front...

Greg

Fronts are bled out, no air in them, yes I am bleeding them furthest to closest and as already stated the bleeder screw are at the top of the calipers.

Rich, when you say park downhill, how is this gonna help? That will actually put the master lower than the calipers? Not questioning you, just wondering the method behind the madness.

I have already bled these things at least 5 times, and been through multiple bottles of brake fluid. Did a search on pirate and it seems it is a very common problem, a few of the guys on there are reccomending taking the caliper off and putting a 2x4 in them and bleeding them while turning them every which way, seems the calipers are notorious for air pockets.

That method couldn't hurt either... in fact, that's a damn good idea!

The downhill worked for me, I think because it lets the trapped air bubbles move around more...

the 2X4 method is what a friend of mine did, and well, wah-lah, he has breaks now! This is after many different MC's and lines.

Back