Boat taxes

justjeepin86

So, i got a tax bill from my home county and Carteret County for my boat. It's stored in Carteret County. How's that work? Am i liable for only where the boat lives?

How do they know it's yours?

So is it registered in any county in any way?

My wife who registers boats is telling me when you got it registered they should of asked what county it would be stored in and you are only liable for the taxes in that county. Here is the state number to call 8006283773 you will need your number when you call. She also said much easier to talk to than DMV .

My wife who registers boats is telling me when you got it registered they should of asked what county it would be stored in and you are only liable for the taxes in that county. Here is the state number to call 8006283773 you will need your number when you call. She also said much easier to talk to than DMV .
Well, i have 2 County tax bills, so I'll have to get with them too, unfortunately. But, thanks, that's what i was looking for.

I get the same thing from Carteret County. I pay taxes on it in Pitt County. I have to, every year, send Carteret County proof that taxes were paid in Pitt County and it goes away.
Real pain in the ass. Damn govt trying to break it off in ya every chance they can get. I really don’t see how they can even charge a tax on a boat not even registered in their county.

I get the same thing from Carteret County. I pay taxes on it in Pitt County. I have to, every year, send Carteret County proof that taxes were paid in Pitt County and it goes away.
Real pain in the ass. Damn govt trying to break it off in ya every chance they can get. I really don’t see how they can even charge a tax on a boat not even registered in their county.
It is mostly attributed to the reports that the county gets on what is in their marinas and storage yards. I have heard similar things from people who leave their campers in other places at storage yards or stored at campgrounds that will set them up for you when you want to go stay in them.

I really don’t see how they can even charge a tax on a boat not even registered in their county.
They can't, but many people won't fight it and it's a nice donation.

They can't, but many people won't fight it and it's a nice donation.

yep. I accidentally paid it the first year thinking it was the property tax on the boat slip, then I got a bill for the tax on the slip. By the time I spent time fighting the boat tax, I was loosing $.

now I just automatically send Carteret county the paid tax bill from Pitt County because I’ve done it enough. But for most folks, I’m sure their revenue is abnormally high due to this unconstitutional practice.

I get a property tax bill for 5 boats 3 of which are my son's sailboats and 5 outboard engines. Then the old ramcharger that only moves around the property so isn't tagged, boat trailer, and gooseneck trailer. Just waiting to get hit for the treehouse in the backyard next...

Did anybody's boat values go up from last year? I don't have my boat bill to compare from last year.
But i just got my truck tags renewed and the value went up 2500 dollars from last year.

Did anybody's boat values go up from last year? I don't have my boat bill to compare from last year.
But i just got my truck tags renewed and the value went up 2500 dollars from last year.
I had to argue my camper value in April of this year. They had FMV $7k more than I paid for it in Oct 2020.

That's some shady shit that the marina/ storage yard reports them.
@rockcity have you tried going to the marina and showing them your Pitt papers and saying "don't report my fucking boat anymore, and mind your own damn business "

That's some shady shit that the marina/ storage yard reports them.
@rockcity have you tried going to the marina and showing them your Pitt papers and saying "don't report my fucking boat anymore, and mind your own damn business "

the county requires them to do so. Basically, in NC, you are supposed to pay taxes where the boat spends a majority of the time, not defaulted to your “home” jurisdiction.

so, in an effort to make sure taxes are paid to either the home county or the county where it’s stored, we end up getting 2 bills and we have to sort it out as owners. It’s a real PITA.

One more reason I'm kinda glad I just have friends with boats :D

Nothing constructive to add...

Although, the state knew DAMN well that I had bought my trailer in 2018 and didn't send me a tax bill. Then sent me one with late fees tacked on. I declared it on my yearly form...still no bill. They straight up said it was my fault. Thanks NC. I really appreciated that 🙄

One more reason I'm kinda glad I just have friends with boats :D

Nothing constructive to add...

Although, the state knew DAMN well that I had bought my trailer in 2018 and didn't send me a tax bill. Then sent me one with late fees tacked on. I declared it on my yearly form...still no bill. They straight up said it was my fault. Thanks NC. I really appreciated that 🙄

I still get tax bills from a trailer I sold 4 years ago. 🙄

They tried to tax my dad 1300 bucks on a small boat trailer he bought new, for 400 bucks. They really have their stuff together, it seems.

What's funny is the tax bill from Carteret County shows my boat to be worth 47k. Davidson county shows 26k. Small amount of difference there:rolleyes: Funny thing is that Carteret is cheaper for almost double the value. I guess I should get them more in line and pay the taxes there. It would probably be cheaper.

What's funny is the tax bill from Carteret County shows my boat to be worth 47k. Davidson county shows 26k. Small amount of difference there:rolleyes: Funny thing is that Carteret is cheaper for almost double the value. I guess I should get them more in line and pay the taxes there. It would probably be cheaper.

tbey are both probably accurate. A $47k boat in Carteret County is probably worth $26k in Davidson County. :lol:

Back