Body Panel Protection

paradisePWoffrd

Recovering Project Junkie
Wasn't really sure if this should go here to in chit-chat...

I know many of you guys have classic cars and/or hot rods. I am doing some work on father/son restoration project. Body has recently come back from paint, but there is alot of mechanical work that needs to be done otherwise.

I am looking for something to help cover/protect the sheet metal from nicks, scratches, etc. With little ones likely around/involved also, just trying to help with any accidents.

I have thought about paper and painters tape. I also see new cars getting delivered with a static cling type covering on them.

Any suggestions?

3M makes a coated paper weld spatter protection film that most all of the race teams use for this same purpose after panting or during panel replacement/rework.

I think it's this stuff:
3M™ Welding and Spark Deflection Paper | 3M United States

It is expensive, but it works very well and already has low-tack adhesive on it so it doesn't need full/continuous taping like regular painter's paper would. I would say that protecting your expensive paintwork is worth spending a little money for protection though.

3M makes a coated paper weld spatter protection film that most all of the race teams use for this same purpose after panting or during panel replacement/rework.

I think it's this stuff:
3M™ Welding and Spark Deflection Paper | 3M United States

It is expensive, but it works very well and already has low-tack adhesive on it so it doesn't need full/continuous taping like regular painter's paper would. I would say that protecting your expensive paintwork is worth spending a little money for protection though.

We use this at work when welding on finished machines. Works well.

Don't put anything on it for at least 3 weeks after the last panel was painted, especially anything plastic, longer if possible. After that, the most protection will be provided by crash wrap. A heavy plastic that has an adhesive backing. It is pretty thick so will protect against abrasion and light object hits. The 3m weld paper and other papers will help for things rubbing against the paint, but on fresh paint jobs I have seen that type product leave light surface abrasions. If it is fresh fresh paint, don't put anything on it, especially with this cold weather. The paint will take a while to fully cure out.

Don't put anything on it for at least 3 weeks after the last panel was painted, especially anything plastic, longer if possible. After that, the most protection will be provided by crash wrap. A heavy plastic that has an adhesive backing. It is pretty thick so will protect against abrasion and light object hits. The 3m weld paper and other papers will help for things rubbing against the paint, but on fresh paint jobs I have seen that type product leave light surface abrasions. If it is fresh fresh paint, don't put anything on it, especially with this cold weather. The paint will take a while to fully cure out.

I say recently, but the paint job has been done for over 6 months; just been sitting in a garage waiting to be worked on.

Crash wrap doesn't look too expensive, no more than I am planning to cover; and I shouldn't need to weld anything around the body. I will get some coming my way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Saran Wrap is a $1/200' roll at Dollar General...
Several wraps/layers around the perimeter to protect paint/finish, then use packing tape (also $1/roll @ DG) secure cardboard over that, more Saran Wrap... repeat as needed to get a warm fuzzy

How about the carpet protector plastic? Similar to plastic wrap but somewhat thicker and semi self adhesive. It's like 2'wide. Found at local box store.

Plasti dip it. Cool kids tell me it peels right off. :mad:

Back