brake line won't come off help

49erRider

ok well this may be a stupid thread but thats why its in newbie tech. when putting on my lift i broke a brake line, its the hard line that rests on the axle housing. it looks like there are two connection points which you just have to unscrew. the only problem is i cannot unscrew thoughs. the wrench will just keep slipping, have used PB blaster, tried heat (havn't got it red hot yet, not sure if my little propane torch can get it that hot), just any advice would help i circled the connection points i'm having trouble with.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 363
vice grips or start cutting

forget heat, brake fluid gets emotional when you heat it too much.

If PB etc, can't get it off, then cut it out. Go down to the local parts store and buy some new brake line, its cheap. No telling what damage (warpage is done now), the last thing you want is faulty brakes. While your at it get a tube bender (about $10 or so) and bend up a new line like a pro. You may need a few flare fittings, but they are readily available at CQ, AA etc.

ok sorry if i sound stupid, but here i go. i thought i had to keep that connection, i plan on getting a new brake line but i can get a new connection too. i do have a tube bender, so i can buy a whole new line and connection?

yea, you need to be using a line/flare wrench to get it off, not a regular open end wrench. flare wrench looks like a regular open ended wrench, but it grips more of the nut/bolt/brake fitting

i am wondering where he is wanting me to cut at and a new flare fitting will cut replace that existing connection.

I have not personally checked this in a while, been a few years since I did mine. Should be able to buy all fittings including T at the parts store. If that fails, go to the boneyard.
Agree with Metto about flare wrenchs or you will round them.

to late think i already have rounded them. so if someone could simplify the answer that would be great thanks guys don't know why i'm having so much trouble with this.

Just go ahead with a pair of vise-grips and break loose the flare nuts, and if you end up mesing up the T or any of the junction fittings your local NAPA has all those little fittings in along with brake line. Just make sure you get at least one end loose so you can take it with you and find out the thread pitch on your vehicle. Get the double flare line, it's better than single flare.

vise grips, grap it HARD, twist and hit the drum/caliper with a hammer @ the same time

i probally should go see if i can get a set of those sockets for rounded off bolts. All i know is i finally got the work i needed done on my rig and its running except for this and i need brakes to get going so its starting to piss me off all i know is i need to get it off soon.

alright i've almost come to terms with the fact that i cannot get those two nuts off (or little connectors) i need to know what to do to get this job finished without being able to remove those. thanks

The vice grip trick is the way to go. Make sure you get the kind with the curved grip surface if its real rounded off, and grip it so the teeth cut into the brass..the teeth are directional so one way grips better than the other. If you can get a good grip and it wont budge put a small peice of pipe over the handle with the adjusting screw and pull on it. Ive found leverage is better than wacking it with a hammer. Also Id go ahead and completly change your break fluid once you get done.
Good luck man.

another suggestion is find parts you can get apart, take the line assembly off the vehicle, where you will have more room to work on it.

if you snip the hardlines you can get a socket over the fittings.

Back