Brake problem

Shags

Hello I own a 87 Suzuki samurai and im having some problems with the brakes. (just purchased)

Ok the problem I was having was having to pump the brakes to get any pedal to stop. and it doesnt leak or use any fluid, So I figured air in the lines because the previous owner said she had a line replaced. Ok so I Bled all 4 corners (or tried) and I have good stiff pedal for about 10 seconds then im back to no pedal.

Front Right and Left Rear brake only bled out a few drops and looked a little rusty. and every time I tried to get more out it still only got a few drops. The front left and right rear shoot a hard stream out.

I have no leaks anywhere im thinking proportioning valve is clogged or a line is clogged cause the truck is so rusty but the lines look good :-/ The break booster itself is fine its holding good pressure.

Could this be something as simple as a master cylinder?

The brakes arnt working good enough for the pads to knock the built up rust off the rotors but you can see the front calipers compressing when you pump the brake.

Any information would be great!! thank you.

Try bleeding line leaving master cylinder. No air or very little fluid I'd go with a new master cylinder. Can't diagnos rest of system if the first part isn't working properly.

It could be the MC. Try bench bleeding it and see what that does. If that doesnt fix it just replace. Also make sure it hasn't leaked into the brake booster, I have seen that ruin them.

Replaced Master and Now when I pump the brakes I have great pedal and the truck stops great, but when I need to stop again in another block I have no pedal I have to pump it again.

The front calipers also dont seem to be closing well enough to break the rust off the rotors but the truck seems to be stopping great after I pump the brakes.

I removed the vacuum off the break booster just to see what would happen, and I have a really tight nice pedal but only the back brakes stop (the pedal feels like it should though does this narrow my problem to front brakes?)

Sounds like the frt cailpers might need a rebuild or just replaced. Also when you remove vacumn from the booster you should have a hard pedal because there is not assistance when pressing it. Have you checked for leaks in the sys at all?

I would bleed the front brakes. Make sure no air, good fluid floe and pressure.

Also if you say its rusty, check the front cailpers for sticking in the slides and pad clips(ran into this problem on a camry) if the slides are not free the cailper will bleed pressure per say back through the brake hose, and it feel EXACTLY like a brake leak or master cylinder problem.

Back