Brake Question

WCURoverd90

How to tell if my 91 XJ Laredo 2 door has ABS or not. The previous owner did not give me much information by way of the stock setup and I cannot find anything on the vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Well, the easiest and most fun way is to take it out in an empty parking lot and get her going a good bit and slam on the brakes. If you feel the pedal push back and pulse, you've got ABS, if not and the brakes lock up, you don't. Or you could just look under the hood. Follow the brake lines out of the master cyl and they will go to a big aluminum block with an electric motor sticking out of it. If you don't see that, no ABS.

Well, the easiest and most fun way is to take it out in an empty parking lot and get her going a good bit and slam on the brakes.

:Rockon:

Too bad the alignment is off so after about 25 mph or so I get the death shake so I guess the fun is off, unless you consider that "more" fun.....

Look at the steering knuckles, if it has ABS there will be a sensor around the wheel bearing area, or look for the aluminum block in the engine compartment mentioned above. Or look at the instrument panel, if the "ABS" light comes on when you first turn on the key, you have ABS. Or try panic stopping from about 30-35 mph on a dirt road, if it has ABS it will be quickly apparent when you can't stop on dirt. <my normal "ABS test"

Back