Brake Upgrades

GotWood

Sayer of Fact
I'm trying to upgrade the brake system on my crawler. Currently I'm running manual brakes, D60/14 bolt combo disc brakes and 42's. I don't really want to plumb in for hydro, would rather do vacuum. Where do I start to size these correctly? Do I just go with a stock booster/master cylinder from a 3/4 or 1 ton gas model?

Watch this video and then use the excel sheet he has. You can get manual brakes work but usually need a higher than "stock" pedal ratio.

I have a 60/14 bolt combo with disk brakes on my crawler. After trying to understand the math and some trial an error I ended up running a 95 zj booster and either a 96 or 97 dodge 2500 master cylinder. I did have to make a longer rod I believe to go between the two. This set up will lock up all 4 of my 42s no problem.

I'm trying to upgrade the brake system on my crawler. Currently I'm running manual brakes, D60/14 bolt combo disc brakes and 42's. I don't really want to plumb in for hydro, would rather do vacuum. Where do I start to size these correctly? Do I just go with a stock booster/master cylinder from a 3/4 or 1 ton gas model?
I have a 60/14 combo with stock 1 ton calipers front and rear.
I'm actually still running the samurai booster and a Subaru MC with a shortened stock samurai pedal assembly and it will lock up all 4 corners.

I just watched that video. Jake does a good job of breaking it all down and making it easy to understand. That would of been handy 8-9 years ago when I was trying to figure mine out.
The video makes sense, and is easy to follow. As for the calculator, I'm going to have to do a lot of research into what exactly I have before I can use it to determine anything. I bought a used machine and still don't know exactly what I have. Currently it us running dual Willwood master cylinders. One of the cylinders is leaking and the thing is hard to stop in my opinion. That being said, the PO beat this thing for years and stopped it so maybe I'm just a puss but I'd like to have power brakes!

Back