breast cancer foundations/charities?

RufusTheRam

my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months ago, and had to undergo a double mastectomy as a result. thankfully, she has had remarkable post op results and is recovering very well. as well as you can recover from cancer, anyway.

her birthday is coming up soon, and i've saved/set aside a decent sum of money that i would like to donate to an organization in her name/honor. i'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts/opinions on what would be the best one. i would like to money to be desiganted for either research or to aid financing for people that may not be able to afford the procedures they need. some sort of certificate, etc. signifying the donation being in her name that i could give her as the "present" would be nice, but certainly not a deciding factor.

susan g. coleman
dont know a ton abou it only hat it is strictly for BC awareneess

On a local level, check with Cancer Centers of NC, I know for a fact there are folks who need financial assitance for proper treatment.

The day I shot the picture of you and your trailer on Blue Ridge, I had just finished treatment for myself at CCNC, there were many women in there for treatment of breast cancer.

I was treated for throat/thyroid cancer, to give you an idea of how wide spread cancer in general is, they were treating 60 people a day with direct radiation, at this one location !! over half was breast cancer.

http://www.cancercentersofnc.com/index.html

Susan G Koman Foundation is another good source

Possibly contact the facility your mother was treated, they will surely have info on where or how to donate.

I chose to donate to the Susan G Koman, based on my limited research has the lowest overhead operating expenses.

http://www.komen.org/

Or simply support someone you know who needs a hand.

My step mom (pat) had breast cancer and just passed her 10year mark and so far all clear...

Rich's wife & I just completed the Breast Cancer 3Day (walking 60 miles in 3 days) a couple of weeks ago, which benefits Susan G. Komen for the cure. The thing I like about Susan G. Komen is that they not only fund research, they also fund testing and treatment for those who can't afford it, as well as educational programs.

Nicole doesn't do anything without shit-tons of research.. (Any wonder why I married her?)

Like Legal E. said, she did the Susan G. Komen fundraiser..

Ivan, congrats on your Mother's recovery as well.. Others haven't been so lucky.. Here's hoping she lives the rest of her life in freedom!

thanks rich. between my motorcycle wreck and this, it's been a hell of a year! it could always be worse though.

thanks for all the suggestions, i did an honorarium donation in her name to susan g. komen today.

Back