Broken Manifold Stud...

Devo

Here's the situation,
'95YJ, 2.5 FOUR CYLINDERS OF FURY! On the exhaust manifold, the last stud has broken off in the head. I've tried making a guide to drill the last of the stud out. That worked fairly well except for the fact that you can't get enough leverage to be of any effect, the brake booster & mastercylinder are perfectly placed for this. This is my daily driver, so down time has to be a minimum. My best judgement is i'm going to have to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds to do this right. Any ideas or do I have to bite the bullet and take it the shop? :confused:

Maybe a reverse drill bit would help? Id try soaking it in penetrating oil then drilling on it with a reverse bit.

I've done both of those. PB Blaster let it work its magic. A couple of applications over a couple of hours then followed up with the reverse bit. But like I said the position and angle prevents you from being able to put any real muscle behind it. Its a horrible angle. The manifold itself makes it that much harder to get to. Thanks for the reply though. :beer:

You will have to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds and then you should be able to get to it with a right angle drill. In some cases I have had to pull the head and drill it out on the drill press if all else fails. It is not too bad to pull and you can do it very easily and keep everythign clean and shaving free with it out on the bench.

Andy

zubz said:
You will have to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds and then you should be able to get to it with a right angle drill. In some cases I have had to pull the head and drill it out on the drill press if all else fails. It is not too bad to pull and you can do it very easily and keep everythign clean and shaving free with it out on the bench.

Andy

Ditto.. You will fight it if you don't pull the intake/exhaust off. Get a new gasket if you pull the intake.

Back