brown mtn ohv

GotWood

Sayer of Fact
I notice all the conversation is about URE and the work days and new trails and what the future is and..... What about Brown? Why is the trail system so lacking for 4x4? Is there ever a chance of improving the trails? How do I get involved? What are the venues that need to n taken.

Maybe we can have a "friends of Brown Mountain OHV" section.

I notice all the conversation is about URE and the work days and new trails and what the future is and..... What about Brown? Why is the trail system so lacking for 4x4? Is there ever a chance of improving the trails? How do I get involved? What are the venues that need to n taken.

I think it is all based around popularity of the destination. If you are talking full size 4wd vehicles, there are only 6.1 miles of trails available to jeeps, trucks, etc. If you expanded all the dirt bike and ATV trails to accommodate full size rigs you would be talking 30+ miles of trails, and that would be significant. I would say the first step is to get in contact with the Head Ranger of that district:

Grandfather Ranger District
District Ranger, John Crockett
109 Lawing Drive
Nebo, NC 28761
(828) 652-2144

See what volunteering opportunities there are, and go from there. As you build a relationship with the Forest Service you will get more information about their plans for the area, and how much interest the Ranger/District has in expanding the OHV opportunities etc.

I personally have never been out to Brown, but it would be great to get NC4X4 involved out there also. Hopefully there is someone willing to take up that task.

I road at Brown a month or so ago. It's got to be the roughest place I've ever been to. Most of the trails are wide enough for some of your crawlers.

I was wondering why they won't change the atv only signs.

Before doing improvements up there, I'd look at getting rid of some of the idiots. I'm surprised it's still open with all the parking lot racing.

Why is the trail system so lacking for 4x4?
That place is FAR from lacking for a 4wd, its just not permited on 90% of the trails there. That place has an incredible amount of potential. The rangers want nothing to do with it though:rolleyes: Imagine that.....
Why couldn't they have opened Brown up more when they shut Tellico down????? This subject bugs the hell out of me.

I would like to see more opening for 4x4 at Brown. I would ride that place 6-8 times a year on my trail bike before i sold it. Beautiful place with lots of potential. Most of the atv and bike trails are already perfect for a 4x4. But what is open to 4x4s is only trail 1 and not worth the drive.

I came around a corner one day (on a bike) and had to dart off trail because some dude had a mildly built Cherokee Cheif stuck in the middle of a trail he shouldn't have been on. Looked like fun. But since he was on a atv and bike traill i had no choice but to roost him and wheelie off into the sunset.

I would contribute my time if it would help open some trails. It is a shame that place didnt expand when Tellico closed....

Probably b/c of the congestion/holdups the 4x4s would cause for ATVs/bikes, which cruise those trails so much faster.
Alot of folks believe ATVs and trucks have no business being on the same trails, it's dangerous for both. Some merit to the argument, really...

it would be the closest place for a lot of us south of charlotte, and really nice for you guys in the hwy 40 area. i camp a steel creek a lot during the summer, and its not far at all from there. it would be great to have more at Brown, iam in for helping!

Probably b/c of the congestion/holdups the 4x4s would cause for ATVs/bikes, which cruise those trails so much faster.
Alot of folks believe ATVs and trucks have no business being on the same trails, it's dangerous for both. Some merit to the argument, really...

I don't know if the logic at URE is backwards but so far having Dirt Bikes, ATVs, and full size rigs out there has worked. I am sure dirt bikes and ATVs haven't been able to go as fast as they might have wanted because of the full size rigs, but just like everyone has to share the road I think it should also apply to the trails. Again maybe my logic is flawed but that is my .02 . :driver:

I would love to be apart of the group to make these changes and work on bettering the trails there. I noticed a few side trails that need clearing all ready and even though my truck isn't trail ready I ride my quad there as often as I can. Lmk who's in and maybe a group of us can make a difference.

I like brown mountain I wheeled it one evening after leaving woodlands bbq. Not a lot of trail but I may have ventured off course had a good time on the Jk.

Unifour Trailbike group used to be big in that area for volunteering. Your not gonna find much support in the realm of full size vehicles in that park. @OutLander469 Been that way for years. If you get any traction let us know. The two wheel and four wheelers pretty well rule that area. I personally rode a lot in that area several years ago. Curious if the big side by side markets has widened some of the tracks?

04f.gif_c200.gif

Back