Building a garage ?

You could put joints in the concrete and pour it by yourself in sections rather than one big slab. Should be able to let you do away with contract labor and save a few $$$. That concrete slab appears to be about $2200 in materials itself plus the wire mat and form boards. Say $3,000 for materials. My guess is that labor costs are about 3000. If you can do it yourself, you are getting closer to the $10k target :)

Thanks guys!
smokeater: yeah, i was worried about the shitty wood. I want it to be built straight, and stay straight! Ha!

I looked at Heritage Buildings website and I would be onboard with it but the garage will be in my yard and seen from the road, so i want it to blend a little better.
Diamond Outdoors of the Carolinas looked like they could make it fit in the neighborhood better, just do damn far away!

I have no clue about the slab yet. calling around tomorrow to get prices, I have some people in mind that im going to ask to finish it. should save me some money.
Jeepinmatt: Wish u hadn't shown me that! thats the size i should be going with. I own the lot beside me and would have plenty of room, just not financially prepared!

Thanks again!

RockCity could hook you up, I'm sure. Most anybody you get to build it or get decent stuff from is going to be a drive, but they'll travel. Whenever we have stuff done at work, the guys come out of Greenville and drive all the way to Havelock. Of course, we're big spenders and they don't mind at all :D

Allied Steel has some awesome exterior stuff, but they're expensive. They quoted me more than double what Heritage did for the same building package. And said if I ordered it and had it delivered within 90 days, they'd knock off 8,000. My question was, what difference does it make when I order it? Sounds like you're just gouging me for extra money. I'll pass.

I'll agree about BDC, my sister and BIL put up a covered porch. Came as a package....wood wasn't that great, but a family member built it and made it look decent.

I'll bump this back up.

Looking at a house in Raleigh off Millbrook.

Need a garage built (if we buy the house) I'd plan on doing most of the work, and would get a building 'kit' but need the ground leveled and concrete poured.

Any tips for someone to come give an estimate? And since the neighborhood is nice, I may have to go a bit more upscale on the building itself. Any new players in the game since this thread was last updated?

I'll bump this back up.

Need a garage built (if we buy the house) I'd plan on doing most of the work, and would get a building 'kit' but need the ground leveled and concrete poured.

Any tips for someone to come give an estimate? And since the neighborhood is nice, I may have to go a bit more upscale on the building itself. Any new players in the game since this thread was last updated?

Make sure you check the setbacks, flood plane, impervious limits, etc, etc, etc beforehand.

I'll bump this back up.

Make sure you check the setbacks, flood plane, impervious limits, etc, etc, etc beforehand.

and by "impervious limits" 'It was a nightmare': Man warns NC homeowners about little-known land rule :: WRAL.com
welcome to Raleigh !

Been in Raleigh for many years now, and have watched it explode.

Will be getting the city permit guys on the phone with all my questions.

Didn't think about the impervious limits, dammit.

Thanks

Check the local zoning laws.

In Huntersville for example, the watershed laws (impervious is part of that) changed in 1993, and my lot is part of a 1989 subdivision, so the watershed laws do not apply per the zoning. That's regardless of build/development date, so my neighbor building a house at the moment is exempt as well.

Unfortunately, my garage has to follow the 1995 zoning changes, and a big part of my house is behind the rear setback now. Makes designing an attached garage pretty creative.

I got my kit from versatube.com Very impressed. My daddy helped me 2 days. Build thread and costs in my build thread link below. About $10k completed.

NCTTORA :: View topic - Brian's shop build

Awesome. That's about what I want my budget to be around. Maybe a bit more with site prep that I can't do.

I'm trying my best to get in touch with the city planners to get some cold hard facts.

Thanks

Anyone used the pre fab wooden buildings? Or plans from a particular website? I know that is more work, but may be a bit more presentable in the backyard.

I've got a 16x16 kit from BDC, it's 15yrs old, I've re-sided it, never painted it because I'm a lazy fuck. wanna say it was in the 1200-1500 range. Multiple weekends for myself and several computer geeks to assemble. the roof is friendly ( it has a wave too it ) but it's dry other than when everything sweats, which is pretty typical with most storage buildings that aren't sealed or temp controlled. I did over lay the 3/4" floor with 1/2" ply sheeting to have a reasonably stout floor
I've built a couple engines in there, built a couple 4Runners out front of it, and many other repairs in and around. wood floor not really a place you want to weld over though ( one small fire in a garbage can )

Built a 28x36 garage/shop that matches my house with 12' ceilings and 10' tall doors a few years ago for just shy of $14500 including a 200 amp service and a ton of lighting and power outlets.

Built a 28x36 garage/shop that matches my house with 12' ceilings and 10' tall doors a few years ago for just shy of $14500 including a 200 amp service and a ton of lighting and power outlets.
Exactly what I want, maybe have to go just a bit smaller. Did you get a kit or get some custom blueprints? Did that price include site prep/concrete?

I did all the grading myself and formed it up for the slab. Paid a contractor to pour the slab. I drew the plans myself and had an architect buddy look them over before I started building. Sent the plans to Haywood builders supply for the material takeoff. They delivered all the materials and roof trusses to the site. Me and a my architect buddy took a weeks vacation and got to work framing. We were able to get the structure in the dry with the shingles on in 6 days and a few cases of beer. It took me about another 3-4 weeks worth of spare time to finish the electrical and the siding.

Back