Busted tire due to pothole

jeepinmatt

..l.
Anybody dealt with this before?
Busted a sidewall on the way home on a pothole in town in Stanley. Friggin 20" wheels. Should I get it fixed then apply for reimbursement, or submit as unrepaired and wait and see what to do next?
20230201_183832.jpg
20230201_184156.jpg

Anybody dealt with this before?
Busted a sidewall on the way home on a pothole in town in Stanley. Friggin 20" wheels. Should I get it fixed then apply for reimbursement, or submit as unrepaired and wait and see what to do next?
View attachment 391031View attachment 391032
If I recall, only the first person to report that certain pothole gets repaired. Either way, I’m sure it’s not even worth the headache.

If I recall, only the first person to report that certain pothole gets repaired. Either way, I’m sure it’s not even worth the headache.
Holy shit, people actually get a repair from reporting a pothole?
Is this is what they use your high taxes for?

I had a tire that went flat bc I hit a pothole and it bent the rim, started leaking at the bead. Frustrating.
This is the downside to bigger rims.
I don't know how the guys w/ giant rims and rubber band tires aren't constantly bending them.

^Hmm....
This is the downside to bigger rims.
I don't know how the guys w/ giant rims and rubber band tires aren't constantly bending them.

they swerve like they drive slammed cars with aluminum oil pans, that or plan their trips ahead of time on roads their familiar with.

I don't know how the guys w/ giant rims and rubber band tires aren't constantly bending them
This is exactly what happens.

I know guys with cars with OEM wheels that have been repaired over and over and over again.

DOT may repair a tire if they knew about the pothole but didn't fix it in a "timely manner." So unless someone reported the pothole and it hasn't been fixed, DOT will most likely deny the claim. If the road is town maintained then they might have different requirements, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Duane

This is exactly what happens.

I know guys with cars with OEM wheels that have been repaired over and over and over again.
my experience was with an OEM wheel on the original tires. Just a Mazda3, nothing fancy shmancy.

Side note - I learned there's a place outside Baltimore that fixes OEM wheels with bends etc. They send a guy out to the tire shop, pick it up, work some magic, bring back the next day looking new and rounderer. This cost me 180 smackers.

DOT may repair a tire if they knew about the pothole but didn't fix it in a "timely manner." So unless someone reported the pothole and it hasn't been fixed, DOT will most likely deny the claim. If the road is town maintained then they might have different requirements, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Duane
Yep, first thing I did was report it. Second thing I did was look at the cost of a new tire :rolleyes:

Yep, first thing I did was report it. Second thing I did was look at the cost of a new tire :rolleyes:

Whoever hits it tomorrow will appreciate that! Sorry it doesn't help you though.

Duane

Whoever hits it tomorrow will appreciate that! Sorry it doesn't help you though.

Duane
Yeah that's what I figured too. If I can't help myself, I can at least try to help someone else.

I got a tire and wheel replaced on my wife's car once. Took pictures of the pot hole, nearest road sign, and damage along with 2 estimates to the scdot building and had a check in about 2 weeks. Actually, it was just pictures of a pot hole because my wife didn't know what she hit.

Yall are silly if you think the city doesn't already know about it, a pothole doesn't grow overnight and that isn't even a large one. They might get to it in 6 months

I don't think any government agency knows how to pour piss from a boot with the directions on the heel, let alone assume they know anything else. It also might not matter if they know, it may be whether you can prove they knew and didn't act. I'd file the claim, especially if it is town maintained, but I wouldn't expect reimbursement.

Duane

It also might not matter if they know, it may be whether you can prove they knew and didn't act.

I agree, I'd still file, who knows what may happen. Wouldn't get my hopes up though. However, I would think the more difficult argument than what you're saying would be 'prove the pot hole cause it'. I have a gashed 36" TSL in my garage right now, I know where pot holes are...I can take pictures of both. And watch 'a pot hole did this to my TSL'. Can I prove it? Can they disprove it? I know nothing about pot hole laws/reimbursements...maybe the burden of proof that it didn't happen does rely on .gov, but that's not really a battle I would think is fun.

This scares me… like a daily fear. Got the wife a new Denali with factory 22s and she jumps curbs for fun. Her previous 2015 explorer we put aftermarket 20s on, 2 days later she pulled up to the shop and hit the curb making custom machined lips
I couldn't imagine my wife having wheels like that. She dailys an Excursion with stock 265/75r16's and you almost cant read the letters on the passenger side tires....

Back