Buy or Avoid a truck from up north??

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
I'm beginning my search for a truck. I've seen a few that are beauties, but according to Carfax they originally were registered up north, like Pennsylvania or Michigan. These trucks are a couple years old with about 40K miles and were bought at auction by dealers down here.

So, should I avoid trucks from up north? What would I need to look for or look out for?

just check em out undernearth. check inside the fenderwells and all for rust. check anywhere salt or water could get to or want to puddle up. you could check the bottoms of the doors and rocker guards, etc

My Ford came from NJ and just about all the under coat is gone, It flakes off in large chunks. My exhaust has started leaking and rattling also, I am going to say its rust. Nothing major, Just some surface rust that is eating the paint under it. If you crawl under it, I can assure you that you will be able to tell if its been affected. I crawled under mine, But at the price I got it for, I could live with it.

Run! There's a reason the dealers buy them at auction up North. They get them cheap, then drag them down here and sell them at inflated prices. You wouldn't pay that much if you knew it was a rust bucket, but most folks aren't going to run a carfax on a vehicle.

If their life was up north, then run. With only 40k I'd say no permanent damage has been done. Make sure you're getting a bargain though.

the sothern part of pa dosnt get as much snow or salt.

like said look it over on the underside. you will tell.

but fyi thay can be clean and still have fun getting nuts and bolts out.

avoid them if you can. I grew up in CT, and its amazing how quickly the rust forms and takes over. My 99 XJ is the only rig I own that is a true southern car and its a dream to work on...nuts are still shaped like hexagons, they actually unscrew and can be re-used.
I bought my tow rig in Cape Cod, and I'm afraid to work on it because I know the fasteners will need to be cut off. I've already had to replace some brake lines that just fell apart.
Think I learned my lesson? Nope...my ECORS XJ came from CT to, somehow ended up on Greensboro craigslist, but I couldnt pass it up for the price. I think I've dealt with every rusted bolt on that rig, except the rear shackles...that won't be fun. Looks like someone already relpaced the brake lines too.

Disengage.

My Subaru STi was from Philly. Despite that car being babied and well taken care of AND only 4 years old, it was still all rusted to piss.

4 years old!!!

I'm picking up a YJ today that spent a good amount of time up north. has rust on frame but looks only to be surface, tub has some rust to but isn't supposed to be bad. I can't pass up the price for the mods it comes with.

Worst case scenairo in the future I fix a few rust spots on the frame and replace the tub. But I think it will be fine, and will only be my dd for a year or 2.

Unless it's a price you absolutely can not pass up, I say look else where. I know most new Illinois/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Michigan rigs would be rusted out before the warranty was up. Personally, I don't like inheriting other people's head aches. But if you're dead set on getting the rig...go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks for the wisdom. I'll be passing on those northern trucks I've seen as the price is not any better than any local trucks I've seen.

Back