Buy your hard hat AND your gas mask today...

96tacolx

Saw this on the news yesterday.
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/25073

""As we reported earlier, rather than take the chance a large piece of falling spy satellite will hit something or spread toxic fuel, the Pentagon is planning to shoot it down. It will be a first of its kind procedure.
Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at a briefing this afternoon that the window of opportunity for such a shootdown will open in the next three or four days and last for seven or eight days. He did not say whether the Pentagon has decided on an exact launch date.
A Navy missile known as Standard Missile 3, built by Raytheon, will be used in an attempt to intercept the satellite just prior to it re-entering Earth's atmosphere. It would be "next to impossible" to hit the satellite after that because of atmospheric disturbances, Cartwright said.
Software associated with the Standard Missile 3 has been modified to enhance the chances of the missile's sensors recognizing that the satellite is its target; he noted that the missile's designed mission is to shoot down ballistic missiles, not satellites.
Here is the official Department of Defense statement on the planned attack:
An uncontrollable U.S. experimental satellite which was launched in December 2006 is expected to reenter Earth's atmosphere between the end of February and early March. Because the satellite was never operational, analysis indicate that approximately 2,500 pounds of satellite mass will survive reentry, including 1,000 pounds of propellant fuel (hydrazine), a hazardous material. ...............""

Kind of reminds me of that chicken that went around claiming the sky was falling

I think I have a SkyLab t-shirt around some where.........

the shuttle that went down over Texas had was almost out of hydrazine, but the tank survived reentry, did not burn up, and fortunately the remains did not leak. 1000# of hydrazine will create a toxic environment over about a two city block area, if the cylinder comes down whole and is then ruptured on ground impact. Article I read didn't mention what would happen as the wind spread/moved the toxic cloud...across Manhattan.

Skylab was a US Space laboratory orbiting earth from 1973 to 1979. It gradually reentered earths atmosphere and burned up.

Mostly true.....BUT......

Skylab re-entered over Austrailia, and there was debris that did make it to the ground. There was a reward by a San Fransico newpaper for the first person to deliver said scrap.

The was also a city in Austrailia the FINED the US for LITTERING ($400 )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylab

Oh, and for what it's worth, I was almost 12 yrs old at the time.

Say a piece of the satellite landed on your property. Would the US government have any right to it or would it be your's to do with it as you please? Just curious

If it contains hydrazine, it belongs to NASA, and they can handle all cleanup and disposal at no cost to me.

If it contains gold or other precious metals, it's mine, stay the fawk away from it !

Say a piece of the satellite landed on your property. Would the US government have any right to it or would it be your's to do with it as you please? Just curious

I believe that is a no. If I am not mistaken when the shuttle 'crashed' into the earth the gov made it clear those pieces belonged to NASA, they even threatened to prosecute those people trying to sell it or those that diddidn't want to hand over the pieces

oh well.....itd be worth it to have peices of a sat/space shuttle on the trail rig......maybe find a booster rocket or somethin! haha.....one can always wish

Hope they hit it.
The damn thing would probably hit my house!:rolleyes:

If they can project where to shoot the satellite they know exactly the path and final destination of it! I say there's a reason they're going to shoot it down. Maybe it's projected to hit a place of serious interest (i.e. a U.S. city or foreign country) Think about it, if it was going to land in a large body of water they wouldn't care.

It may not be operational, but I have a feeling that with all those NASA experts they know more than they are letting on!

heh heh heh...
...are you kidding??! Those cats at NASA hit a 9 mile wide Comet, several jillion miles out in space, traveling at a gazillion miles an hour...using calculators! (okay, really BIG calculators, LOL!)

Im feeling better now about the future of my house!:rolleyes:

big crash

I was watching the news last night and they said it was predicted to land somewhere around Hawaii.

If they can project where to shoot the satellite they know exactly the path and final destination of it! I say there's a reason they're going to shoot it down. Maybe it's projected to hit a place of serious interest (i.e. a U.S. city or foreign country) Think about it, if it was going to land in a large body of water they wouldn't care.
It may not be operational, but I have a feeling that with all those NASA experts they know more than they are letting on!

The problem is that they can only predict a few days into the future. Once it starts getting pulled into the atmosphere, there's a shit-ton more variables to consider which are in themselves hard to predict.
A few days is enough to shoot it down now, but it will be weeks before it'll hit land. So right now they don't know where it will land, but do know where it will be when the rocket would hit.
If they wait too long (e.g. to get a better idea of the crash site), it will be in a location where they can't hit it anymore - becuase the missle owuld have to be launched from a place we can't (legally) get to/launch from. E.g. middle of China or something.

i just watched the movie INVASION last nite. now im heading to delks to find a gas mask.

Or it blow it up because they don't want anyone to know what it was realy doing.

Back