Buying a trailer w/ no title

awheelterd

Looking at a trailer that the seller alleges came from a state that doesn't require a title, I presume SC. How much trouble is it to get an NC title for something like this? I'm not super concerned with it since I will be getting farm tags once my current tags run out in May, but I'd like to be able to get a title if I want later if I decide to sell the trailer. It's a factory built trailer fwiw.

I'd suggest getting local law enforcement to run the VIN in their system before you commit.
Having a trailer flag stolen when you try to register it doesn't make for a good day, ask me how I know.

PO was happy to get his trailer back.
You don't get reimbursed for your money when that happens FYI

I'd suggest getting local law enforcement to run the VIN in their system before you commit.
Having a trailer flag stolen when you try to register it doesn't make for a good day, ask me how I know.

PO was happy to get his trailer back.
You don't get reimbursed for your money when that happens FYI
Good thinking. I will do that. I don't "think" it's stolen. Dude is selling a bunch of the same trailers with or without small containers on them. Looks like a small fleet of hotshot trailers or something.

Just go to the DMV and get a vin and paperwork for a home built trailer. Stamp the tongue and axle tube and get a state trooper to sign off on it. Send that off and get a NC title.

Just go to the DMV and get a vin and paperwork for a home built trailer. Stamp the tongue and axle tube and get a state trooper to sign off on it. Send that off and get a NC title.

This is called VIN tampering and is illegal if it actually isn't a home built trailer.

If the trailer you buy is not stolen and just simply doesn't have a title, you shouldn't need to do that.

This is called VIN tampering and is illegal if it actually isn't a home built trailer.

If the trailer you buy is not stolen and just simply doesn't have a title, you shouldn't need to do that.
you make it sound so scary. it's actually not tampering unless you remove or change a current vin, if it doesn't have a vin it's vin adding:)

you make it sound so scary. it's actually not tampering unless you remove or change a current vin, if it doesn't have a vin it's vin adding:)
It's not scary, it's a legal process.

But if it's a manufactured trailer, it should have a VIN and removing it or changing the VIN of an existing trailer is illegal, that's it.

It's not scary, it's a legal process.

But if it's a manufactured trailer, it should have a VIN and removing it or changing the VIN of an existing trailer is illegal, that's it.
Then he shouldn't do that. Thanks for your legal advice.

I have seen them twice have a trailer re stamped with a new vin so it is a thing, though you're right about a lost title being the first process you should go through. You'll have to talk to local dmv inspector.

Also, except for a few pretty narrow exceptions, having a farm tag won't exempt you from tagging a trailer.

Whelp, avoided that potential problem altogether this morning. Sat down to drop a load and opened marketplace. First item I see is a 16ft proline 10k with brakes, title in hand for $1800. Only about 35 mins away. Messaged the dude and he said first one there with cash could have it. He had already had 40 inquiry's and was losing his mind, he just wanted it gone. Grabbed the money and was at his place by ten.

If anyone is in the market for a real nice, next to new, underpriced trailer, they will be hitting the market throughout the next week since I've already bought one. Happens every time I buy something 😂

If anyone is in the market for a real nice, next to new, underpriced trailer, they will be hitting the market throughout the next week since I've already bought one. Happens every time I buy something 😂
Does it have a title? :)

Decks not even rotted and it's got a hella ramp with spring assist.

IMG_20210409_162515812.jpg
IMG_20210409_162532761.jpg

Amazing... aside from the wonkiass'd jack/mount, looks 98% like my 30 y/o Hudson Bros. 10k!
Supposedly, purchased with a skidsteer (package deal) and also had that huge ramp, but was hacked by PO...

8N.jpg20200713_185848.jpg

Want to sell any of those van trailers sitting around? Need some for storage
Me, yes. My grandad, no. Ha. The ones pictured we use but we have several more we don't have much use for anymore but my grandad won't let me get rid of them. He thinks junk trailers are the best thing ever ha

Me, yes. My grandad, no. Ha. The ones pictured we use but we have several more we don't have much use for anymore but my grandad won't let me get rid of them. He thinks junk trailers are the best thing ever ha
Never hurts to ask

Bumping this back up since it seems to be the most recent out-of-state-no-title-trailer-coming-to-NC thread. I found an SC trailer I want. Seller does not have title because SC. Bill of Sale comes with it, VIN is clean. Simplest thing seems like buying and using it (it's a little 12ft long single axle trailer), but whats the current process if I want a title? Bonded title? Fake homebuilt trailer?

SC doesnt tag trailer but they absolutely title them

They don't require a tag if it stays in state. If the trailer goes out of SC it absolutely has to have a tag. And yes they do title them.

What prompts that? If you are not putting a tag on it, why would you title it?

Back