Cable Rant

R Q

Cable/internet, phone bill is $224 a month. Lot's of extra charges in there and I'm not happy with any of their services so I called tonight to get an adjustment. Little girl/account person was so stupid she could not comprehend that I was a long time customer. It used to be TWC but now Spectrum. They merged into one company. She said she could not access my account because I was a TW customer. I explained to her that they MERGED and she should have my info. She said "I can't access your info and don't know what services you have because you are TWC customer"! My head is exploding at this point but it was a 15 minute wait just to get to her! So I ask her "Do you have my latest statement in front of you" she says, "Yes sir, that is what I am using to talk to you" (It has every bit of info that she needed to respond to my request.) She still could not propose a better deal for me because she didn't know what services that I had! I had to get off the phone with her at that point...40 minutes wasted,

We havent had cable since we got married. Crap like this was part of the reason. The other was that we simply dont watch TV. Very little that we ever watched, just couldn't justify it.

We cut maybe 15 years ago. Thought fifty bucks was way too much. Really haven't missed it one bit.

Movies, you probably already have Amazon Prime, and their video is a good start. If you are really into movies, there are plenty of online options.

Sports is really about the only/best reason to have cable. We don't watch sports, so no loss for us. 90% of the time, in the evenings the TV is on...but I couldn't half the time tell you what was playing, much less what the plot is. Usually on PBS or METV or something. New shows stink.

College Football is all I care to watch on tv...beyond that, we play movies for background noise...and my girls will watch Nick/Disney Jr from time to time. Specifically compared what games I was interested and what spectrum offered vs a couple other set ups friends and family had. I’m going YouTube tv. It had every game I wanted (and 75%+ of the others spectrum had, probably more, but I didn’t check all the obscure games) and didn’t look to be impacted by locality or blackouts. Current spectrum internet plus YouTube tv plus Netflix is about 40% of what I’m paying now, and that’s with everything YT has to offer.

Cancel cable TV, keep internet. Pay me $100/month and I'll share logins for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, MotoGP, and Supercross/Motocross. Win-win for both of us. :D

Try reddit, which recently moved their feeds to sports streams for sports. I have watched every nfl and most of college football games the last 2 years on it.
Free, of course.....

Try this link Sportsurge

Last edited:
My Brother went to Spectrum, & got screwed, but he's still with them. My best friend & his wife, switched to Spectrum, 3-4 months back. They were on the basic package, with 3 mo. intro movies. Couple weeks back, they got a High End bill, & found All the channels had been turned on. They called and argued about what Package they signed up for. Rep gave them some crap about what package they could switch to & save $20. They Cancelled! I got the AT&T Bundle, cellular, internet, & Direct TV.

i cut Dish last year already had Netflix that we were already using more than dish and amazon prime. there are some shows i wished we still got but for the most part i could care less. between the two there is more content than i could ever watch. if you do cut get a "smart" dvd player if you dont have a smart tv and you can watch youtube as well.

I cut 5-6 years ago... dual-bank deep fringe antenna (with booster, LTE filter, & lightening arrestor) was <$100... ONCE!
Even 65 miles (as the crow flies) from everything but WXII on Sauratown, we manage to drag in all the Triad stations, including Fox 8 that refused to lock in W-S and the NBC affiliate in Roanoke... but we DON'T watch news, period.
We have Prime, Netflix, & Hulu (the later 2 are shared with family) and that covers everything we want to watch... which is about 3 hours a week average.

No idea what I spent the $1200/year saved on? Oh wait, 88 acres without neighbors and a Jeep :lol:

Back