Caliper inspection.

Futbalfantic

I have a 99 wrangler. G/f daughter complains of pulling to the right heavy with braking and remains some time after braking. Said the right hub was significantly hotter than the others. My assumption is it a freezing caliper causing drag. But pulled all the brake parts and don’t see excessive wear (look like brand new pads and rotors). The right caliper takes a little bit more pressure to press back in but nothing significant.

So. Anyway to test a caliper?

If you go on rockauto, you can buy everything from the hardline out (hoses, calipers, pads, rotor) for like 150 bucks shipped. For me it's not worth dickin around with a tj/xj/zj dana 30.

Crack the bleeder press caliper in. If it's easy now the rubber line needs replacing. If it's still hard the caliper is bad. Chrysler and Ford are notorious for bad calipers, they use a phenolic plastic piston and it swells and gets sticky.

Crack the bleeder press caliper in. If it's easy now the rubber line needs replacing. If it's still hard the caliper is bad. Chrysler and Ford are notorious for bad calipers, they use a phenolic plastic piston and it swells and gets sticky.
This! I've seen the opposite side be bad and caused pulling in the opposite direction.. just depends on failure mode.

Had this same thing on a ram 1500. It pulled hard right when braking, but everything looked fine. Pads and rotors looked fine. I could push the pistons in as well. Changed the caliper and problem went away. For whatever reason the piston wasn’t retracting all the way like it should after braking. My right wheel would also be noticeably hotter after driving like hers.

Back