callantee question

bigred54

alright so I have been to callantee's website, i have called the place and still i have no answers so it falls to you my fellow wheelers? The callantee you guys wheel in Mountain City TN the same one that the website highcountryatv.com advertises? Cause it makes no mention of 4x4s on it. I hope they are one in the same the place looks awesome and i want to check it out in a couple weeks.

Not gonna lie don't have a group new to the area out here I just figured I would play it by ear and stick to green trails its more of a shakedown run with some camping than hardcore wheeling. Also figured I wouldn't be the only one there its easy to make friends on the trail

I would say poorly marked is a understatement...just pretend its not marked and take someone who has been. Its not a good sign when the gentleman you pay gives you a map and says its wrong:tongue:...but it is fun and good views of the mountains to boot

ahhh ye of little faith!
This past week, Mr Craven aka CYJKrawler here on this board, spent time Thursday and Friday marking trails. Not complete yet, but it's better than I have seen in a long time.
Here's a better map than what they give you. Feel free to copy and print it.

Attachments

• Callalantee_2006_08_28%20Sub%20Trails.jpg
    Callalantee_2006_08_28%20Sub%20Trails.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 286
and fyi, I believe all the bypasses are over to the left, the right 95% of the time will lead on the actual trail, in case you dont want to actually take the trail.

I contend that with the map upnover posted a 1st timer would have little problem hitting the hot spots! Some of the trails are marked with pink dayglo. Red is #2, yellow is 4, green is 1. Yellow/Red rock garden is marked TOW, The Tower, aka 360 is just past TOW on trail 4. Welder entrance is plainly marked "3", drop down off the green trail to the right where the Little Tellico sign is and with the map in hand you can't miss Armor All, Little Tellico and Pull Cable. The recommended loop IMO would be to take the red trail (2) from the red/green junction up to TOW, then to 360, follow yellow (4) down to green (1), go up welder (3) to the top, take the rut trail back down to Easy Out and then take The Step back to blue, blue down to green and then green over to Armor All, Little Tellico and Pull Cable, back track on green back to the campground. This route would allow you to see most of the park, hit all the hard spots while allowing any vehicles that want to to bypass the obstacles. This can all be done in one day if you take the bypasses and don't have any breakage :)

I contend that with the map upnover posted a 1st timer would have little problem hitting the hot spots! Some of the trails are marked with pink dayglo. Red is #2, yellow is 4, green is 1. Yellow/Red rock garden is marked TOW, The Tower, aka 360 is just past TOW on trail 4. Welder entrance is plainly marked "3", drop down off the green trail to the right where the Little Tellico sign is and with the map in hand you can't miss Armor All, Little Tellico and Pull Cable. The recommended loop IMO would be to take the red trail (2) from the red/green junction up to TOW, then to 360, follow yellow (4) down to green (1), go up welder (3) to the top, take the rut trail back down to Easy Out and then take The Step back to blue, blue down to green and then green over to Armor All, Little Tellico and Pull Cable, back track on green back to the campground. This route would allow you to see most of the park, hit all the hard spots while allowing any vehicles that want to to bypass the obstacles. This can all be done in one day if you take the bypasses and don't have any breakage :)

OK, so you've marked the RED trail that leads up to TOW/Upper Garden w/ a #2? Did you also mark it at the intersection where you head up to the actual obsticles?

I'm pretty confident w/ Welder and Armor All, etc... but I still have trouble getting to TOW/Upper Garden..

Also, did you Mark the "pink Day-glo" on Trees or an actual sign?

Thanks for all your hard work in making this place better to ride :driver:

-Chris

From the junction of the red/green trail, the first big sawmill, where you cross the creek to the left to get on green and head to Welder, take the right trial up the hill. It is marked on trees with a day-glo 2. The TOW entrances are marked both at the junction of red/yellow (2/4) and at two different entrances off of yellow(4). Once on yellow(4) continue to the large clearing with the huge mudhole on the left. The Skyline trail goes to the right, continue straight across on yellow(4) and 360, the old tower site, is the first clearing on your left. As you continue on yellow(4) it will bring you out on green(1) just before the entrance to Welder.

nice work jon. much appreciated.

A question on the trails there. I ran most of tellico no problem but ran out of time to explore when I blew my rear main seal. I have an 06 rubicon with a 2" BB, disconnects, the stock 31" MTRs at the moment, and a epi9.0 winch.

What trails/obstacles are a no go with my setup? What are borderline? What would be challenging and possible?

Depending on how things go I might put it on 35s or 37s before I get a chance to go up there. Then how do my last questions change?

Thanks ahead of time. Not meaning to highjack just have no experience with callalantee.

Going by what I have seen, I think you would be OK with some finesse and maneuvering on everything up there except Pull Cable aka Big Tellico.
Waterfall my be iffy but only because of wheelbase.

At Callalantee you can try most anything... especially since you're carrying a winch... I would like to see a rubicon on 31's make the waterfall or easy out though... especially as wet as it's been lately...

The total Callalantee tract is 5500 acres. He had 6500 until he sold the top part with the bald. I'd say we cover a good portion of that when riding all the trails available. As you can see on the map, the top left quadrant is unmapped but it does have trails and they are rideable. Used to be marked Grey and Black back in the day.

Back