Camping tents??

Bigben75ford

Hey guys I was looking at buying a new tent for when I get home from this deployment probably a 4 to 6 man tent but not something so big it takes more than 2 ppl or really just myself to put up.

Just wondered if you guys knew of some good quality tents out there and where you got them from? Not really looking to spend over a couple hundred but will if its worth it!Thanks!

oh and also looking for a good camping stove!

We had this one for a year,then got a camper.We loved it.Great tent,really inexpensive,not to hard to set up alone.With two people,there is no excuse not to have it up in 10 minutes.Plus I go right at 6 foot 5 inches tall and I could stand in every part of it.Not to mention it's a Coleman so you know it's built with quality!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-M...0000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11030641

I have the old version of one of these:

http://marmot.com/products/thor_2p?p=118,72

Yep, its pricey but worth every penny. Had the SOB for over 12 years and its nothing but comfortable, spacious and waterproof. Its a touch on the heavy side but very comfortable for 2 people.

Also my old man has the old versions of these two:

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-tents/mountain-35.html

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/...bCat&parent_category_rn=11750&variationId=854

The Frog-one is awesome for back packing or if I just want a small, easy to setup tent. The yellow one is HELLA NICE in the winter. Super warm and NO WATER ever gets in that thing.

Not to knock on the coleman dome tents, but once the water starts falling from the sky, they seem to start sucking (from my experience). As in, flooding. Also all of the above tents have been heavily used for the last decade. No problems, no issues, keep going. Backpacking, car camping, etc.

I got a two pole Coleman tent that is super easy to set up and put back in the bag. It is an 8 man tent that we put a queen air matress in and it is pretty comfortable. If it is raining really hard we put a tarp on top of it, but I don't think it is needed. We have been in a lot of rain in that thing and have never had us or our stuff wet. \

My opinion is the least amount of poles the easier it is to set up.

I went all out and spent $250 on a two man tent. Love my tent. Wasn't worth the money at all. It's no stronger than one that was 1/4 of the price. It tears just as easy as any other tent I could have bought. But hey, it's small, light weight and people ask me about it all the time. :)

My opinion? With the budget you're looking at, save a little of that money and buy one from walmart. Everyone I've camped with recently has gone that route and they haven't had a single complaint. If it lasts 2 years, you've got your money's worth.

Thanks for all the input guys!! Im just tired of buying tents more often than I thinks needed lol! Want some better camping gear like stoves and things too but we will see what I come up with. Ive taken out a pop up a few times but a tent with a air mattress suites me fine.

I think if you get a high quality tent you'll be good. I had a Northface Dome tent for 30 years. It was awesome. I had to seam seal it occasionally but I travelled all over North America. -35 to 100 deg. What finally did it in was mold. I loaned it to somebody and they must have packed it wet and I didn't use it for a year or so. couldn't get the smell out.

For a solid tent the Eureka Timberline is a nice tent.

They have a 2, 4, and 6 man version.

http://store.eurekatent.com/products/365432/Timberline

man I just cant see spending 4-500 bucks on a tent though.

I picked up my Eureka Tetra 11 for $200 from CampMor . It was last years model , but the only difference was the color of the rainfly . I have had water flowing around my tent 4" deep and I never got wet .

I would certainly buy one from REI instead of Wal Mart or online. Not only is their REI brand great, but their return policy is so good it's ridiculous. So ridiculous you can almost consider it a lifetime, no questions asked, warrantee. Took a sleeping bag sack (that I truthfully told them I hit across a tree and they just gave me another one). During a trip I led this summer a kid smashed a water filter on a rock. We told them that and they just gave us another one. It's incredible, and their stuff is great.

I just picked up an REI Kingdom 4. I will be setting it up later today at the flats. I was looking for something smaller than my 12 man tent that we use in the summer. Biggest thing for me was I needed a 4 season tent. The kingdom is rated 3-4 season, My large one is really only for warm weather and my wife freezes below 60 degrees. I paid $349 but will get back 10% of that at the end of the year.

REI CEO is the president of an organization that is fighting to have all off road parks and trails closed. Do not support them.

You should get this tent. It is a "pop up" tent that has the poles stiched into place. One person can set it up by themselves in under five minutes. It only takes about 30 seconds to get the tent standing and then the rest of the time spent is putting one pole into the rain-fly and setting it ontop of the tent. If you are into hicking, this tent is not for you since it is pretty big when broken down. If you are the type that throws the tent into your vehichle, drives to the site and sets up a camp, this tent is right up your alley. It has been great tent.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=412297&pdesc=Gander_Mountain_Jack_Rabbit_First_Up_Tent

Can you elaborate on this more? What is the group he is president of. I was going to buy a tent from rei but this will change my mind.
Geeze man the President of REI is a SHE,I said that and her name in my last post.It's 2011 for Pete's sake:shaking:.Anyway here's the groups she currently resides over.
• Board of directors – RILA
• Board of directors – National Parks Conservation Association
• Chair – University of Washington Board of Regents
• Founding board member and past president – Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust
• Host committee member – Initiative for Global Development
Her name is Sally Jewell and here is her Bio.I still don't see anything saying she is against trails,but I don't have time to read every single thing on her either.
http://www.rila.org/about/leadership/Pages/SallyJewell.aspx

When my son was "Cub scout" age, we bought a Coleman "2 man" tent for $35-$45 from Wally world. When my wife got the wild hair she wanted to camp also :rolleyes:, I got the same tent in a "4-5 man" size. The 2 man was used for a couple years and is still virginal. The 4 man has been used for almost 10 years and is still in fair shape (despite a couple tears that have been ducktaped for years). It's still pretty easy to setup quickly/by yourself and 2 WallyWorld folding cots + an ActionPacker for "night stand" make "camping" pretty dang nice! In the summer (with zero threat of rain), we've pulled the rain fly off = 100% ventilation & no bugs. If it might rain, we park the EZ-up over it & still get the breezes w/o the fly.

Things to look for:
- *Seamless* waterproof bottom that extends UP the sides 6"-10"
- Plenty of screening (mine are about 75% screen)
- A rain fly that covers *ALL* that screening & the majority of the tent

Both the Colemans have all these features & have been in some stoopid rains with no more than a thimble full of rain getting in... ever!

Similar to this, but with MUCH more screen on the sides & the fly covers 100% of the sides...
2000000135_500a.jpg

2000000135_500.jpg

Bigben, The 10 x 10 ft. canopy from Walmart that I have two of and been using them a LOT over my Hot Dog Cart is $75.00 now at Walmart. The wall kit is $29.00 I think. These setup really fast and I have a buddy that use's this set up and swears by it! Him and his family love it because during the day they tie up the walls and use it for shade. Mine are in great shape and they don't leak in the rain.

hey guys thanks for all the input!! I will be looking in a week or so when I get back in the states! Hey tominator I got your PM about the tent I have looked it over sounds good! Only question I have though is do you own it and ppl were complaining in there reviews about the windows and such just not sure what they meant.

Yes, I have the tent. I think they are talking about how the tent seems open with the rain-fly off because two of the sides are large net sides. With the rain-fly on those sides are covered up. There is a window on the back and front that you can zip up to close off or down to see out of. I have owned my for three years now and have not had anything break, rip or tare.

-Tom

Back