cant seperate tranny from engine

orange150

I am having a hard time getting the C6 tranny off of my 351w engine, in my 82 bronco parts truck. I have all 6 bolts off, and everything disconnected, but I still cant get them apart. Any suggestions.

torq convertor unbolted?starter out of the way?if everything is unbolted and out of the way,just use a pry bar to add a little leverage to seperating them :confused:

had the same prob with my buds 350, he said he too the bolts off the torque converter. after an hr or so i decided to crawl under and the damn thing was still connected.

slid right out after that

orange150 said:
So I have to unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate? makes since... does it matter if the starter is still bolted up?

Umm, yeah, the starer bolts thru the plate between the engine and trans ( which is also bolted to the engine :confused: ) thus the starter is keeping the works from moving.

and you have to pull the starter to get to the conveter nuts ( I think Ford uses studs on the converter ) when ya got them all out, you can push the converter to the rear a bit to clear the flex plate, and the converter should spin free.

Just be aware that the converter can and will fall out and make a huge fluid mess if you are not careful. If all this mess is still in frame, support the trans with a jack before you yank the engine out ( also helps position things for easier removeal )

PS, since you already have all the tranny bolts out, either replace 2 of them BEFORE you pull the starter, or support the trans with a jack, soon as you remove the starter bolts, it could slip out, even with the converter still hooked to flex plate. again making mess and possibly small parts that can't be reassembled.

Kevin

Ah, I was thinking the starter just mounted to the tranny. Yeah it is already up on a jack right now. I will try to get it done tomorrow, the stupid headers that are on the engine now block all points of easy acces to the top bolt on the starter, its a real pain to get to now.

The guys are right about the torque converter bolts but it should not stop the tranny from sliding back, something else is holding it. If the drive shaft is out there is nothing stopping the tranny input shaft splines from sliding out of torque converter going straight back, you would not want to pull it this way but regardless it should slide back.

He's got to remove the starter first, regardless of the TC.

Back