Cant tell if this is tech though its radios and all.

C138 Kaysone

Well i just got myself a new set of radios to use, 27 miles range is good, also another set of 2 with 20 miles, so im covered on all four corners of alamance lol for who ever will be on the other end.

Next if i got the truck I wanted, CB's would be hooked up already for my trip all around NC... maybe SC too

Does anyone even use FRS/GMRS radios often at all? especially ones who live out in the county anywhere near Alamance? I know i picked up someone from orange and guilford, wanted to know if there are any Alamance dwellers here.

If this falls into the tech, can it be moved? looked all around and didnt see anything that i thought i could feel as if it was the right place.

The 27/20/infinity range of those FRS/GRMS bubble-pack radios is pure hogwash. They work line-of-site. Real-life range is more along the lines of a half mile on a good day. They are UHF, which is pretty much line-of-sight. At Uwharrie, they work "OK" within a group...but the cheap innards are susceptible to RFI from ignitions, etc. I've never had good luck with them. If you use the GRMS freqs, don't forget your license (about $80 for 5 years, its a "family" license). Most people don't, though. FRS/GRMS is quickly becoming like CB did in the 70's -- too busy in many places (clogged up with traffic in places like WDW), and full of, well, you know. It's only saving grace from becoming a CB free-for-all is its limited (short) range.

BTW, You might get 27 miles from mountaintop to mountaintop with a clear line of sight, on a clear day.

The one neat thing about GRMS is that you can put together a repeater to get great coverage. County-wide or better, mostly dependent upon your antenna location/height (remember line-of-sight). But the bubblepacks can't work with a repeater, you have to have a higher-end GRMS-capable radio. At that point, you're better off to get a ham license. Amateur radio has repeaters all across the country.

For car-to-car when travelling, or lead-to-tail on the trail, I use MURS radios. It's a lower freqency, 150 something Mhz vs. in the 460 range. Gets out a bit better, and the lower-freqency seems do better getting thru tree cover, around hills, etc. Not great, but better than the UHF stuff. MURS you can also have an external antenna, which is prohibited on FRS radios (and by default, GRMS when it's combined into a FRS radio). Plus, very few folks on on MURS...I have only heard other traffic maybe twice on any of the channels in the last 3 or 4 years.

The 27/20/infinity range of those FRS/GRMS bubble-pack radios is pure hogwash. They work line-of-site. Real-life range is more along the lines of a half mile on a good day. They are UHF, which is pretty much line-of-sight. At Uwharrie, they work "OK" within a group...but the cheap innards are susceptible to RFI from ignitions, etc. I've never had good luck with them. If you use the GRMS freqs, don't forget your license (about $80 for 5 years, its a "family" license). Most people don't, though. FRS/GRMS is quickly becoming like CB did in the 70's -- too busy in many places (clogged up with traffic in places like WDW), and full of, well, you know. It's only saving grace from becoming a CB free-for-all is its limited (short) range.

BTW, You might get 27 miles from mountaintop to mountaintop with a clear line of sight, on a clear day.

The one neat thing about GRMS is that you can put together a repeater to get great coverage. County-wide or better, mostly dependent upon your antenna location/height (remember line-of-sight). But the bubblepacks can't work with a repeater, you have to have a higher-end GRMS-capable radio. At that point, you're better off to get a ham license. Amateur radio has repeaters all across the country.

For car-to-car when travelling, or lead-to-tail on the trail, I use MURS radios. It's a lower freqency, 150 something Mhz vs. in the 460 range. Gets out a bit better, and the lower-freqency seems do better getting thru tree cover, around hills, etc. Not great, but better than the UHF stuff. MURS you can also have an external antenna, which is prohibited on FRS radios (and by default, GRMS when it's combined into a FRS radio). Plus, very few folks on on MURS...I have only heard other traffic maybe twice on any of the channels in the last 3 or 4 years.

Thats what i figured, I been trying to look for the form to fill out for a license but i dont see why, if they have GMRS freqs on them, they should atleast put more info on how to get a license other then a phone number to call, I might as well save up to get one next month, Im only operating on non GMRS freqs or I might as well have to incase someone i need help from is on those channels, luckily my new model has the panic button, sends out a distress call :) neat feature for the EM1000. One time i heard something on Channel 19 that sounded like a school bus or Transportation, sorta threw me off pretty bad.

A Ham Radio, I wanted to buy one long ago, found a 2 meter Ham Radio or a 20 Meter, cant remember what it was, a small compact looking handheld, only about 199.99 at a radio shack about 3 years ago when i saw it.

When you mentioned bubblepack, what did you mean? thats something that makes me wonder what you meant or your saying the cheap walkie talkies on the store shelf?

When you mentioned bubblepack, what did you mean?

Bubblepack = The cheapos from MallWart that come in the blister pack.

Seriously, you're supposed to get the 'family' grms license. But.... probably 99% of the GMRS users don't. The fines can be steep...but what are the chances?

Go to fcc.gov I think you can even do the app online.

Amateur radio is $14 for ten years (for an individual). Testing is pretty easy for a tech license...when I tested there was one kid there that was about 8 or so...and a handful of young teenagers (12 y.o. or so).

The FRS (and GMRS) are really not meant for talking outside of your own group. (Hence "Family Radio Service") Even if you hear others, they are apt to ignore you and just continue their business. Ham radio, on the other hand, is more geared towards contacts with folks you don't know or normally 'communicate' with. FWIW, YMMV, YADA

Bubblepack = The cheapos from MallWart that come in the blister pack.
Seriously, you're supposed to get the 'family' grms license. But.... probably 99% of the GMRS users don't. The fines can be steep...but what are the chances?
Go to fcc.gov I think you can even do the app online.
Amateur radio is $14 for ten years (for an individual). Testing is pretty easy for a tech license...when I tested there was one kid there that was about 8 or so...and a handful of young teenagers (12 y.o. or so).

one of my colleagues whos in charge of my police departments communications system is a ham operator i believe..

well i couldnt find that application to apply for a GMRS license, and yes i do know how steep a fine can be, especially from the fcc, young kids who buys these radios and go over to different channels and only swear at each other, my sole purpose is to communicate with friends with emergency traffic or at a huge group event or atleast keep in touch while out and about, heck even a convoy...

now i just need to get a GMRS license to get covered.

and the cheap ones, I think mine is decent enough, a coverage of only 25+ miles, EM1000 serious, emergency tone "awesome to grab someone's attention" not like the normal built in alert tones.

Wonder if its legal to take my radio with me to Iraq once i get out of bootcamp... though i know the marines will issue radios but not all units get them

Wonder if its legal to take my radio with me to Iraq once i get out of bootcamp... though i know the marines will issue radios but not all units get them

I would sure hope/think that OPSEC would prohibit that.

While in Afghanistan, we were given the GArmin Rhino radios. We only used them on base, they send out their location every time they transmit, not something you want others to know! But for goofing around in the woods back in the states, the GPS feature is pretty cool.

While in Afghanistan, we were given the GArmin Rhino radios. We only used them on base, they send out their location every time they transmit, not something you want others to know! But for goofing around in the woods back in the states, the GPS feature is pretty cool.

Now those look nice, I actually wanted one, but they transmit on FRS and GMRS freqs? or different? Well the only thing i have is EM1000 series from motorola, if i get shipped to iraq, I might as well use mine on base or when im out and about though they give radios to most platoon leaders

Back