Cape Fear River Canoe/Kayak

DUH-HUH

Thinking about going out on the Cape Fear this weekend with canoe and a kayak. Just wondering if anyone has gone out there before. I was thinking about putting in at the Buckhorn Dam (Buckhorn Road)and paddling down to lillington.

Anyone know of where you can get out in Lillington (Public access) to get picked up at? Looking at google maps it looks there is a public access off Wildlife Road just east of HWY 210 / HWY 401 in Lillington. I know Raven Rock State Park is between the two but could not find an access point to get in / get out.

Looking for just a short trip, nothing to long, a couple of hours maybe. Starting to think paddling from Buckhorn Dam to Lillington is at least a whole day and maybe a two day event.

Let me know if anyone has experienced paddling on the Cape Fear and where you put in and got out and how long it took you to paddle.

yes you can take out at the wildlife road ramp.

That's gonna be a decent ride, enjoy!

not entirely sure.

everyone I know puts in behind howards BBQ in lillington and takes out at dunn.

Or put in at buckhorn and take out at Howards. Don't know of any put ins in between. Raven Rock is a good overnight but its really far to have to tote to or from a vehicle. The deep river in Chatham Co has several day trip options that are easy in and outs. Would be close to Apex too.

check the river levels and current flow.

You do not want to be out there if the river is high / fast. It's very dangerous.

Good point. I guess I'll just have to call cape fear river adventures tomorrow and see what the river is doing.
Thanks again

Back