Car horns

XJsavage

CounterCulture
About to install a horn into the Jeep buggy. I have installed a grounded momentary switch, relay, yada yada... I want something that can be found in a junkyard thats pretty dang loud. Which auto horn has the best sound and loudest tone? Describe the tone in 5 words or less.

Go European like a Mercedes or BMW and get the connectors. Older Lincolns had the fanfare setup that was pretty loud too. (I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my street bike)

Oh and tone in five words or less "Moveova IMA hugedouche!!! Haha did it in three

Find a train horn...
Description... Move the hell over dammit

Import stuff, good idea. I didn't think to look there.

So I did some searching for decibel levels in common car horns and this what I found.

Typical (snail) car horn: 107-109 decibels
Motorcycles/scooters: 109-112
Trucks/lorries: 117-118
Train horn: 146-175

I always dig the early to mid-90's GM 4 tone horns. Otherwise 70's tbird/Lincoln/general ford land yacht dual tones are pretty doggon loud. 70's fords also had optional air horns if you wanted to go that route.

I always dig the early to mid-90's GM 4 tone horns. Otherwise 70's tbird/Lincoln/general ford land yacht dual tones are pretty doggon loud. 70's fords also had optional air horns if you wanted to go that route.
90s Cadillac had a 4 tone horn. Sounds smooth but loud. I've thought about getting one for my tow rig, or a train horn since the trailer attached means pull out in front of me at the last second while I'm running 55 MPH

That's more or less why I'm wanting one in my jeep. It'll see a good bit of street time and DD duties a few days a week. The 45 minute one way drive to work entails driving across downtown Columbia SC and the idiots on the roads I encounter daily could best be dealt with by a paintball or potato gun. I figure a loud ass horn would be more logical and help me avoid high blood pressure and roadside boxing matches.

late 90s isuzu troopers have a pretty loud horn.
heck go to the pick & pull and get a few from different cars & trucks
and try em out.

I plan on picking some up from pull apart. It sucks I can't try each one on the spot though. Unless I went through with a 9v battery (?).

Pick up two of these, duct tape them together, and wire them up in series for 12v.

awww.slashgear.com_gallery_data_files_1_4_6_heavy_duty_powercell.jpg

Are you not allowed to carry a jump box?

Back