Carpenter bees: friend or foe

this has been. my weapon of choice since last summer. its really fun. coarse salt works best.

i have found tho, that a mixture of almond/apricot blend oil, d-limonene, and dawn, makes a great spray to hose wood down with. They do not eat yo wood if youve done that in the past 6 weeks

1713382087748.png

this has been. my weapon of choice since last summer. its really fun. coarse salt works best.

i have found tho, that a mixture of almond/apricot blend oil, d-limonene, and dawn, makes a great spray to hose wood down with. They do not eat yo wood if youve done that in the past 6 weeks

View attachment 416049
My neighbor got wild with one of these on his screened in porch one night. He and his brother were shooting critters and drankin. Next morning when they stepped onto the screened porch it looked like Swiss cheese. They had to replace a handful of the screens from the salt shot.

My neighbor got wild with one of these on his screened in porch one night. He and his brother were shooting critters and drankin. Next morning when they stepped onto the screened porch it looked like Swiss cheese. They had to replace a handful of the screens from the salt shot.
totally worth it if they got the assholes AND had a good time :laughing:

Bee Butter

Melt a large container of petroleum jelly. Mix in 2 tablespoons of permethrin. While still liquid pull mix up into large syringes. Let it cool.

Inject a bit into any CB holes careful to sort of rub it around inside the hole. It is impossible for them to not get in on their bodies when they go in or try to claim the hole as theirs. Bonus is any eggs laid will hatch and the babies will get it on themselves when they emerge.

Never fill the holes, just butter em every year.

Has worked like a miracle at my place. I never see any except the occasional dead one on the ground. I was overrun with them a few years back.

Bee Butter

Melt a large container of petroleum jelly. Mix in 2 tablespoons of permethrin. While still liquid pull mix up into large syringes. Let it cool.

Inject a bit into any CB holes careful to sort of rub it around inside the hole. It is impossible for them to not get in on their bodies when they go in or try to claim the hole as theirs. Bonus is any eggs laid will hatch and the babies will get it on themselves when they emerge.

Never fill the holes, just butter em every year.

Has worked like a miracle at my place. I never see any except the occasional dead one on the ground. I was overrun with them a few years back.
Permethrin is the shizzizle for most any flying insect.
I just use it in a spray bottle and spray liberally around any active areas

I killed about ten of them this weekend at my in-laws, tons of them buzzing around. My favorite was down at the chicken coops they were buzzing around at head level so I just put on a pair of gloves and literally clapped them out of the air.

I'm going to start Killin them now. They always kinda bugged me but never saw any adverse effects so far. There has to be a nest in the neighbors yard. I heard they do eat other insects.

Side note, my mom and dad have Mining Bees in OH, weirdest thing they have hundreds of holes as individual nests. Sting is supposed to be milder than a honey bee. Had to convince my dad not to destroy them. Lol
View attachment 416032View attachment 416033
Dont kill those please! Those are Blueberry bumble bees and are very beneficial.. Look them up on google...

Back