CB antenna mounted inside rig? Will it work?

thecarman

I'm getting tired of ripping the CB antenna off my K5 Blazer, and after ruining an antenna in November, I was thinking about a good place to mount it.

Rear corners are bad - when the truck leans over, the top of the antenna catches on stuff. Front corners would probably be same. Rear center is not possible because of tailgate. Front center would be a pain when working under the hood. I think roof mount would be bad for branches and stuff. I *do* run with the soft top, so can't mount to roll bar or anything.

In the Feb 2008 issue of FourWheeler, there's a featured K5 with a short CB antenna mounted inside the rig, just in front of the center console, near the T-case lever.

Would mounting the antenna totally inside the rig work OK for CB performance?

Thanks!
Richard

It will work inside the cab but it will shorten your range slightly. You will still have plenty of range for the trails though. A few years ago Radio Shack used to sell a splitter kit that would patch in with your factory radio antenna and use it for both the radio and CB at the same time. I don't know if they still do but it might be worth checking into.

Even tho' mobile installations are exempt from FCC Radio Frequency Exposure guidlines, I would be afraid of rf exposure from the antenna being that close to people.
An antenna can cause rf burns if you touch it while transmitting.
There is not specific info on the rf guidlines for that power settings as low as stock cb levels (2-4 watts).
But I still would not do it.
Put it on the back mounted to the bumper or tailgate protected by the body. It wouldn't effect the signal anymore than being inside.

Matt

what about a through the glass one?
On my old Suburban, i had a magnetic mount opposite the radio antenna. Gave it the big rig dual antenna look as a bonus.

Make sure you have a good spring mount on the bottom of the antenna. I run an 8' antenna off the back corner of my YJ with a good spring mount and I have never broken it.

Idont know about Blazers, but I removed the cow(the plastic vented pc.)l, below the windshield. This pc. does not go all the way accross. I was then able to drill a hole in the sheet metal and get my hand under there to mount the antenna.
ASo now my antenna is about where the inspection sticker is. This was the only place I could mount it without a roof rack. It is out of the way. Same place as radio antenna but opposite side.

I had mine mounted on the inside of the back quarter panel (just behind the center hoop of the rollcage). I used a short fiberglass firestick, mounted in the attaching point for the hard top. You can still use the soft top and no one will get RF burns...
Doug

Hey Richard, I'm thinking about relocating mine as well. The last 2 trips I broke an antenna. I was thinking about placing it right behind the center of the cab a little lower instead of at a rear corner. Not sure about how well one works inside though since I think they say a flat plane for the signal to bounce off of works best.

could you mount it to the tailgate itself so that it would clear the bumper when folded down? also what kind of antenna do you run, and do you use a spring on it?

I thought about that - I like the idea of mounting it to the tailgate, except that it will be sticking straight out the back when I have the tailgate down to load stuff.

I was running a 4-foot stiff fiberglass antenna. It kept coming loose from hitting on stuff, and finally the threads in the bottom of the antenna stripped and it fell off. This happened twice (but once ruined the cable, not the antenna). I didn't break the antenna itself.

I was not running a spring. Probably should if I mount it outside again.

Idont know about Blazers, but I removed the cow(the plastic vented pc.)l, below the windshield. This pc. does not go all the way accross. I was then able to drill a hole in the sheet metal and get my hand under there to mount the antenna.
ASo now my antenna is about where the inspection sticker is. This was the only place I could mount it without a roof rack. It is out of the way. Same place as radio antenna but opposite side.

That's a good idea. I could even mount it in the very center of the cowl. Nothing should hit it there - if something is hitting the center of my cowl on the trail, then I've got bigger issues to worry about than an antenna. :D

I had mine mounted on the inside of the back quarter panel (just behind the center hoop of the rollcage). I used a short fiberglass firestick, mounted in the attaching point for the hard top. You can still use the soft top and no one will get RF burns...
Doug

Doug - I'd like to check it out when I see your Jeep again.

Hey Richard, I'm thinking about relocating mine as well. The last 2 trips I broke an antenna. I was thinking about placing it right behind the center of the cab a little lower instead of at a rear corner. Not sure about how well one works inside though since I think they say a flat plane for the signal to bounce off of works best.

Craig - I think right behind the cab on your truck would be great, nothing to hit it there as long as it doesn't get in the way of your toolbox lid. If I had a place like that on my K5 I would definitely use it.

That's a good idea. I could even mount it in the very center of the cowl. Nothing should hit it there - if something is hitting the center of my cowl on the trail, then I've got bigger issues to worry about than an antenna. :D
Thats cool, but the center of mine was all plastic. This was not strong enough to hold the weight and movement of the antenna. So I had to improvise and move to the edge where there was sheetmetal. Good luck!

RF burn.

Grab your antenna and have someone key the mike.
You just sorta microwaved youself where the contact was.

Way ouch.

Matt

Duuuude. My man. Just get a CB walkie-talkie...ebay or a Hamfest. Whilst wheeling, lean sorta close to the window when you want to talk. You'll be close to your buddies...and I'm positive it would carry that far

Doug - I'd like to check it out when I see your Jeep again.
Richard, I had the antenna mounted that way on one of my K/5's I had a few years ago.
Doug

the through-the glass antennas bring the suck. I have a 4-foot firestick mounted behind the rear corner panel, above the tail-lite. I think I need to pick up a spring.

I have seen a lot of pepole stop to fix the mag mounts due to sticks and trees knocking it off, I decided I did not want to bother with that.

Back