Chainsaw won't start with muffler on?

jcramsey

Went to borrow my father in laws chainsaw the other day, but it ended up needing some repairs before I can use it. It had been in storage since they moved down so it had some bad gas lines and primer bulb. Put new lines and a bulb in it and cleaned the carb, and now its running.... but it will only start without the muffler. I checked the spark arrestor and its actually pretty clean, took it out and tried starting with just the muffler shell and still a no go. What am I missing?

No carbon deposit. Just tried to hold the saw up by just the starter rope and it wouldn't hold it up so compression ain't too good. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it.

My old McCulloch did the same thing. With the muffler on, it wouldn't hardly even hit. Take the muffler off and it would run like a scalded dog. I even let it idle for 15 mins in the vice. Muffler was clean (disassembled, sprayed with brake cleaner, wire brushed, reassembled). Cut it off to bolt the muffler on and it wouldn't run. Muffler back off and it ran like before.

I got tired of messing with it and sold it.

Ground issue?

Only visually checked the ground and it looked ok. Plug has plenty of spark when tested out of the cylinder though.

Who needs a muffler....let that baby scream ;). You'll probably find a nice running Stihl that just ran out of gas a neighbor throws away on the curb any day now though :p

I don't think 95% of my neighbors are qualified to operate anything outside of a battery powered weedeater. You can bet if somebody tosses a saw, I'll at least give it a run and see if I can make it work.

What kind of saw is it? Poulan?

Bingo. And an old one at that.

It was having trouble even starting without the muffler later this afternoon so I just gave it a rest. I think she's on her last legs. My father in law said if it will run without the muffler to let it eat. Maybe I can get it fired up and keep it going long enough to cut up the few little things I've got laying around before it goes kaboom.

Last edited:
Drop some motor oil down the spark plug. it will help with the compression and might loosen up the rings if they are stuck.

Poured a little marvel mystery oil in it the other day and seemed to help with the compression using the starter rope check. Still doesn't want to run with the muffler on, but a little Eric Church in my ear phones and a pair of ear muffs fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back