changing from 2 piece axle to 1 piece in front Dana 30

1983Bronco

1995 YJ I just got has the vac. disconect 2 piece front Dana 30 axle. I'm tring to convert to singke axle out of a cherokee. Will it swap right in, or do I need anything special, thanks

if you are talking about the whole axle, housing and everything, it will work as long as the gearing is the same and you weld on the perches for the coils and control arms. but you maybe just talking about the shafts?

if you are talking about the whole axle, housing and everything, it will work as long as the gearing is the same and you weld on the perches for the coils and control arms. but you maybe just talking about the shafts?

he is talking about the shafts themselves......must be the new race jeep........im pretty sure they will swap out brad, just have to take the fork and stuff out of the housing for the vac disco stuff....

when you bringing it to the shop? and when is the porsche leaving?

jason

dont we have a spare axle assy at the shop, or is it on your trailer still?

:edit: we need a shaft from a 96-99 cherokee, with the 297 u-joint

U have to install a seal on the pass side of the carrier like the one peace axle has. Forgot the #
Stue Olson has a right up on his site with the part #'s

U have to install a seal on the pass side of the carrier like the one peace axle has. Forgot the #
Stue Olson has a right up on his site with the part #'s
can't emphasize this enough...measure twice...buy once!

the measue twice has to do with the inside diameter of the housing where the seal goes and where it will ride on the shaft.You got to pull the carrier anyhow to install the seal there so just take a pair of digi calipers and do it right the first time.No big whoop,just do it.Go to napa or carquest and get the correct size seal.

So would the seal be the stock seal for a Dana 30 one piece axle, say like in the 99 cherokee. Also I thought I read somewhere you could install a seal inside the axle tube where the vac hose assembly is to act as the axle seal?

Should be able to use any one piece D30 Shaft, Just so your options are wider spread, TJ, YJ, XJ, ZJ and so on. There all the same spline and width.

My TJ D30 has the seal at the carrier bearings, Don't see why you couldn't go that route, I no disconnect axle expert though.

You can see them in the picture
ago.jeep_xj.info_D30Diffseals_20010.jpg

Back