Check your U-joints!

Tacoma747

Was putting my street tires on today and after I took the IROK's off I checked the frontend, well, my driver's side u-joint was needless to say... TOAST.

Luckily I have a spare shaft with a new 760 joint in it already so I didn't have to make any parts runs. Here are some pics, the inner axle side of the joint was bone dry, and both caps were missing large chunks, the seals were toast also.

Not sure how long it has been like this, but I would about gurantee it has been to URE once like this, there were ZERO needle bearings in either of the two busted caps. I had even just drove my truck up through the woods at my house before I took the IROK's off, and could not tell it was loose at all.

Check your's so you don't hold up the trails!

EDIT: And by the way, that was the stock u-joint from 1987 (hope the new one lasts that long...)

Thats why my SAS only cost about $2500, because I on;y replaced what HAD to be replaced, (seals, pinion bearings, carrier bearings, hubs) everything else was fine, not to say none of the bearings will ever have to be replaced, but WHEN they do, it will be good to do a check-up on it anyways.

You run those 38's or 40's on a D44 and you will need to replace alot more than a u-joint :D

Tacoma747 said:
EDIT: And by the way, that was the stock u-joint from 1987 (hope the new one lasts that long...)

I checked mine just shortly ago in 1989 ........ they should be fine ........ :D

JB

Back