Chevy 14-bolt questions

poncho-mike

Hi,

I'm new to the board. I have a 93 3/4 ton 4x4 454 Suburban and a similarly equipped 96 Suburban. My son has a 87 K-5 Blazer which I bought for him.

I'm having a problem with a 2-wheel drive Suburban, and I'm hoping somebody here can help me.

The vehicle is a 78 3/4 ton Suburban with 454. It has the 11,000 GVW Trailer towing package and a 3.21 economy rear end, with the heavy duty brakes. The rear is a full floating 14-bolt. The rear end on this Suburban went out. I believe the pinion bearing has gone south.

I bought a 3/4 ton rear out of a 4-dr 78 Chevy truck from a local junk yard. The parts book showed 3/4 ton truck and 3/4 ton Suburban to be the same. When I got it home, I found the rear wouldn't fit because the leaf spring perch spacing is different from my Suburban. After some checking, I found the 3/4 ton 4-dr trucks used the 1-ton frame.

The junk yard I bought the rear from has been jerking me around. They are supposed to replace with a rear end that will fit my vehicle, but I've been waiting three months for the replacement. It's a shame the rear I picked up doesn't fit, because I believe it's been rebuilt. The gear oil was very clean. In fact, it looked new. The gears are 3.73s.

So here are my questions:

1) I paid $225 for this rear. If I can't use it and the junk yard won't get me another, what can I reasonably expect to get out of it? How much demand is there for 14-bolts with full floating axles?

2) The leaf spring perch spacing is different from my vehicle, and the shock mounts are different. I know spring perches can be moved. How much does this cost, and who does it? And can I use the shock mounts on the rear, or do they have to be changed also?

3) What does it cost to rebuild a 14-bolt? Does anybody have a recommendation?

4) The leaf spring perch spacing on the 14-bolt I bought appears to be the same as the one on the K-5 Blazer. Are these a direct bolt-in for a Blazer K-5?

5) Does anybody have a rear to fit my vehicle that they would sell?

I'd like to hear some opinions.

Mike

If I remember correctly all 1/2 and 3/4 tons from 73-87 should have the same spring perch locations. 1 tons maybe different I can't remember. 225 isn't bad, but they can be bought for cheaper. If the axle came from a 3/4 ton then it should fit the K-5 but it should also fit the suburban. I would bet the axle came from a 1 ton. Just measure the perches and see if its the same as the k5. Don't forget that the 14 bolt ff is 8 lug and the k5 is a 6 lug so front axle would have different number of lugs. A website that would have the information you will ever need for your chevys is www.coloradoK5.com

I would cut the perches, re-weld them, and be done with it. Not that big of a deal. I am sure there are some compitant guys here on this board that wouldn't mind picking up some extra change to do it for you. I know if you were closer I would myself.

Fix the new axle. You should be able to move the perches cheaper than replacing pinion bearings. I think a pinion kit is about $100-120 for that axle. I'd have to hunt for the receipt, but that sounds about right.

$225 isn't a bad price when you're in a pinch, but I wouldn't count on selling either of those axles for that price. Not to wheelers, anyway.... you can buy 4.10 and 4.56 geared 14s for $100. Maybe find somebody that needs an axle in a tow rig....?

Does anybody have any recommendations for someone who can move the spring perches? Also, what would it cost?

The rear was out of a 3/4 ton 4-dr truck. According to an old manual I found, the 3/4 ton 4-dr frame is the same as a one ton, so the leaf spring perches are one ton width.

Thanks,

Mike

i can help out, its easier oifits out of the truck. im in raleigh near 540, ill do it for 20 or 30 bucks depending on how long it takes to grind the perches off. i ccan only worj on suday aftgersnoons though

Back