Chevy 2500 HD issue

DanStew

I have had the truck for about 3 years. It is a 2500 Hd with the gas loving 8.1L motor :) Well a month or so ago the odometer has decided that it does not want to light up in the morning. It will work fine in the afternoons, but when i go to work it jsut doesnt like up (digital display) It still works and dispalys fine with correct info later in the info, but does it need coffee in the morning or something. I know Chevys are known to have electrical issues. But where is the ground for the dash cluster, i think i have to reseat the ground connection. Wondering if anyone else has this issue.

thanks

You don't mention what year truck you have, BUT, it really doesn't matter as the cluter is pretty similar in all the GMT800 series trucks.

THe Clusters are known to do weird things, usually a gauge stops working or the lights flake out.

THe cluster is TOTALLY electronic, and there is just a plug in the back one you remove the cluter retaining screws.

THere are companies that refurbish the clusters, and will replace on an exchange basis, you must supply the correct mileage and hours ( yes, they check them, but sometimes it isn't possible)

quick Google search brought the below link:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=99_GM_Truck_SUV_Instrument_Cluster

BEfore you condem the cluster itself, take notice if any other lights go at the same time, a flaky body control module can cause issues as well.

It is a 2001. I just want to make sure it isnt a ground issue. Only other issue with the cluster wich may or may not the cluster is the ABS and the Brake light will come on every so often and stay on. I will shut the truck down and then when i restart it the lgihts go away. But it could be an ABS issue. pesky sensors.

Back