Chevy 454 value

poncho-mike

Hi,

I've got a 78 GMC 3/4 ton 454 Suburban that I've had for almost twenty years. The rear end went out on it about six months ago. I had planned to get it back on the road, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the effort. It's a 2WD.

I have a fairly new tranny in it (TH400) that I want to keep. I also have an older pickup I'd like to keep some of the sheetmetal for, so I'm thinking of taking it apart. The motor runs good and has good oil pressure, but it's got about 220K miles on it. It's a 78 model 2-bolt main. I put a new timing chain and oil pump in it about 45K miles ago. It had a rear main oil leak, so I installed a new 60 psi pump while I was replacing the seal. The bottom end was clean. I change oil every 3K miles.

Can somebody ballpark what a complete motor is worth, carb to oil pan?

Thanks,

Mike

mike it honestly depends on who buys it.

When we dragged a lot and went through rats I had a consistent supply for
3-600 fom boneyards...

However I have seen people pay a grand for a needs rebuild motor.

Rats are definitley getting a lil more rare, but I feel confident you could get $750 off here (hell I'll personally guarantee $500:D )

Maybe considerably more if you are willing to wait.

Thanks for the input.

I kinda feel guilty about even thinking of dismantling the old Suburban. It's like an old friend. I've hauled many a car and trailer over the years. It still runs great, and it's not that rusty, but it needs a rear end, the power steering box is leaking, and the hood is working on a kink.

I'm mostly into older American Muscle (GTOs and Trans Ams), so I asked a few other BBs. It looks like I should be able to get at least $750 out of it.

Now's the tough part. Do I take it apart or fix it.:confused:

I bought a 78 K-30 one time that had a 454 in it.Milage was unknown and I sold it as such.It was complete with all accessories including the flywheel.It still ran and drove,but after they listened to it they said they didnt need to drive it.I got $950 out of it and the 1st lookers bought it.It might be a good idea to leave it in as long as possible so potental buyer's could hear it run.I would stick close to $750.

As cheap as a replacement rear-end would be, I keep it intact if it's solid.

Just my .02..

Back