Chevy 6.5 gettin some cold love

Cperry

In an effort to keep up with the PSD and such. The 6.5 needed some help. Still have to build the scoop but it is functional which was my main goal today. i did a full write up at http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105610
and will update as i complete hopefully soon.

Attachments

• may sale 019.jpg
    may sale 019.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 393
pic2

the red on the intercooler would definetly be blood, no good project is complete with out some bleeding

Attachments

• may sale 020.jpg
    may sale 020.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 464
very interesting...and would actually work very well on my setup...

couple questions...

1. there doesn't appear to be any kind of opening on the "front"...all on the "top", right? just a basic air/air intercooler that you've turned horizontal?

2. what's the physics behind it actually working that way? wouldn't it be slightly better if it was tilted a bit?

3. is it any more involved (other than cutting hood and making supports) than connecting output of compressor housing to one side of intercooler and and the other side of the compressor to the intake?

for instance...I could get rid of the elbow on the right side of this pic, and just go vertical...and get one that bends upward to go on the lefthand side?

DSCN2540.JPG

hmmmm...

Greg

very cool !

BTW, where did you source the new engine ? GM crate ?

i bought the motor from some old guy in Sanford who bought it from some company that supplies the militery with Hummer motors.

Yes it would work better tilted but then the inlets to the intercooler would be pionting away from the compressor. The scoop will force plenty of air through it .

That's great man... Very original!

Maybe you could steal the scoop from a WRX Sti.. :lol:

nice. i've got a factory scoop from a fox body mustang gt that you're welcome to if you want it. not sure if it's wide enough though...

1. there doesn't appear to be any kind of opening on the "front"...all on the "top", right? just a basic air/air intercooler that you've turned horizontal?
2. what's the physics behind it actually working that way? wouldn't it be slightly better if it was tilted a bit?

Greg
Porsche runs them the same way on early 930's except they are in the rear tail and flat, they work quite well.

heres the scoop, i would have loved to have just bought a scoop but i could not find one wide enough

Attachments

• intercooler 005.jpg
    intercooler 005.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 321
Nice to see my old truck getting back to life. Where did you find the upper intake manifold at? You better keep them stacks on there, that is what makes the truck

it is about 90% finished i drove it about a 100 miles. Intake temps are at about 70 degrrees it has been cooler here but before they were at 175, truck definetly has some more get up and the EGT's stay lower. need to clear coat it and build a grill for it. here it is.

Attachments

• 93 ext cab 009.jpg
    93 ext cab 009.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 229
would like to find a grill that looks like my radaitor grill and stick that in there i think that would look good.

Attachments

• 93 ext cab 010.jpg
    93 ext cab 010.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 296
Back