Chevy doods...need help

McCracken

Logan Can't See This
I've got a 4l60e / 261 combo I'm trying to sell. This guy has 99 Suburban with no guts in it. He's thinking this might work. I don't know squat about interchangeability within Chevy models. In my world anything can be ran but this will be for a street runner. Will the computer accept it? I believe the 'Burbs had a push button transfer case where this is a manual shift.

Is his Suburban a NBS or OBS? What year is the transmission/transfer case from? I want to say 98-03 will interchange regardless of body style.

If his is an OBS (88-98 body style) the transmission should work, but the transfer case is different. The front output on a 261/263 is female and the driveshaft is male. It doesn't need to move much with a fixed front diff and IFS...however, the OBS trucks used 241/243 cases which had a flange output. If he's got an NBS Suburban, then he should be fine depending on the year of the transmission and if his was a floor shift or push button.

Is his Suburban a NBS or OBS? What year is the transmission/transfer case from? I want to say 98-03 will interchange regardless of body style.

If his is an OBS (88-98 body style) the transmission should work, but the transfer case is different. The front output on a 261/263 is female and the driveshaft is male. It doesn't need to move much with a fixed front diff and IFS...however, the OBS trucks used 241/243 cases which had a flange output. If he's got an NBS Suburban, then he should be fine depending on the year of the transmission and if his was a floor shift or push button.

These are questions I'll have to ask. The trans and case came from a 99 Silverado and have the female input you described.

Ahh ok, that's NBS then.

Back