Choosing a suspension for my Jeep TJ 2003

chiselneck

I bought my first Jeep a month ago and I'm really diggin it. I took it to Uwharrie with the stock suspension it has now.... drove the easy stuff, but had a great time.

So to get to the point, I want to get a 3.5 to 4" suspension lift kit, and I've seen all kinds of suspensions in a few mags, catalogs, and on the net. To be honest I don't have a clue to who makes a good suspension and something that will last. I don't want to spend my cash on something just to find out six months down the road that it's not really what I want, or that it wasn't built tough and I'm replacing parts. So I'm hoping some of you can suggest a realy good suspension, that will hold up, take the abuse, and do my Jeep right.

I can't dump a lot of cash into a $2500.00 sup. but I figured I could start out with a base kit around $600.00 to $900.00 and buy additional components as I can to enhance the suspension.

So any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

try a BDS 3 inch suspension to run 33s...about 600 bucks and top quality stuff...you can also try some Rubicon Express 4.5 for around the same price without the long arms and stuff. Remember that there are other stuff to remember when buying a lift...like will your axles hold up to the size of tires you are going to run once its lifted? Stock TJ...id stay with 33 inch tires, especially since its a 2003 and u prolly dont wanna trash it. Unless its a rubicon or has the optional D44 in the back...

Yea, I was planning to run 33s, probably a set of BFGoodridge Mud terrain tires. I had a set of these on my truck and they did well by me. I'll check out the BDS susp. Thanks for the feed back.
Mike

If it was me, I would go with a long arm RE 4.5" kit, get some 3/4" spacers for the front also, because with the weight of the engine, and when you add a winch, the front springs will wear in a bit, Tera QDC's, because the RE ones suck. An SYE, Several good brands depending on how much work you can do. The long arm kit will keep it very drivable on road also. If you wheel a true 33" tire, your tires will hit your front fenders when you disconnect with a 3" lift. I would talk to Andy at Carolina Rock Shop, he can set up up, won't BS you, and has great service.

I spoke to one of the guys at Carolina Rock Shop today, It is still a toss up between a BDS and a Rubicon E, the guy at CRS suggested the same two. I'm going to do some reading about both manufactures but I'm leaning towards going with a Rubicon Express 3.5" to 4" lift kit. Thanks for the suggestions, you guys where a huge help in narrowing the field!
Mike

im runing RE 3.5 springs after doing ti the cheap way the first time. ur better off doin it right the first time.

There are a lot of options out there... Personally I chose the Teraflex 3". I think the spring rate is slightly softer and gives a better ride as a daily driver while still handling well on the trail.

The RE feels good offroad, but is fairly rough as a DD

And for the record, my 33s dont rub at full flex... I have Sahara flares, so maybe I get a little more clearance

I have BFG MT 33x12.5 R15s on a wheel with 4" BS.

Griz, measure those MT's. I put my old 33" swampers next to a 35" MT and they were the same size.

Back