Circular saw

R Q

My 20+ yr old circular saw died a few days ago and I am looking to get a new one. I'm no pro so I don't need a pro saw. Was looking to spend maybe $100-150.00. I don't want one of those aggravating trigger locks if possible. DeWalt had a nice one but HD were all sold out.
While looking I ran across a left-handed saw and although I'm right-handed, it seemed pretty logical to have the blade closer to you so you can see better, especially with my fading, middle aged eyesight.
Give me some recommendations of saw type to buy and about the right vs. left handed thing.

You've nailed it with the left vs. right hand thing. My favorite is the porter cable saws. The one with the brake also has a dust port that either directs it or allows you to attach a vacuum. It comes in both left and right but costs about $160. Like your last saw, I expect it to last you about 20 years.

I have a makita. It does its job well but I wish it had dust collection and a brake.

I also own a makita. You can't go wrong with it. But at my job, we run nothing but Dewalt. They have the brake but no dust collection. I imagine in our line of work, they will last around 10 years, but we abuse them. So the everyday homeowner should be able to get at least 20 years out of it. I have never been a fan of PorterCable, I have run across a couple lemons that blew up.

I have Makita, Dewalt and porter cable( left and right) circular saws. All I ever use is the Makita unless I'm making a left hand bevel cut that requires a left hand saw. The weight and balance, line of sight, durability and price is unbeatable with a Makita. I personally hate cutting with a Dewalt, they are clumsy feeling and the line of site is not very good. The Porter cables are Ok but I can't speak for the durability, don't use it enough to tell. My 2 cents

i got an almost new porter cable at the pawn shop for $60. i'm VERY happy with it.... go check the local pawn shops :)

Another vote for the Porter Cable. I've had mine for over ten years and it's the best circular saw I've ever used. My dad has killed two Craftsman's in the time I've had this Porter Cable. One thing I like about this one is you can easily rotate the port that the saw dust shoots out of.

I'm gonna throw in a vote for Milwaukee. I love the feel of the saw, and it's durable as hell! It's weighted well, cuts well, and just feels tough. Changing blade depth or bevels is simple, and they're within your price range. With a good blade, I can crosscut and just about make it look like it came out of a jointer. However, the blade is going to be a HUGE part of how any saw cuts. Don't skimp out if you're looking for a quality cut. Freud makes high-quality blades that are very affordable.

The only thing I don't like about my Milwaukee is the dust port. It's impossible (as far as I know) to connect a dust collection system of any sort. Otherwise, I wouldn't trade the saw for anything. Plus, I hate DeWalt yellow. ;)

Milwaukee is one of the few brands I haven't heard of changing hands and merging over the past few years. Bosch makes stuff for Crapsman, Delta and Porter-Cable are the same company now, and I believe DeWalt is in bed with one of the other Chinese mfr's, too. Not casting aspersions on their quality, just forging my opinion.

If you want a good saw cheap, though, check out the Hitachi's. I've used a lot of their tools and been VERY impressed. I have their 10" sliding compound miter saw, and it cuts incredibly well!

Had a 15+ yo Dewalt tak a shit a few years ago, replaced it with another which was stolen in September, along came DeWalt #3...what a flaming pile of dog crap...I cant believe its even the same brand, I took 2 back to HD and when I finally relized I didnt have a bad unit I bought a Makita..LOVE IT!

No more yellow

BTW both saws had same 2 problems, trigger only worked about 9 times out of 10 and after 2 or 3 cuts through 2x4s with new blades, you could grab the bottom of the blade and wiggle the shaft 1/8-1/4"(and watch the shaft move not a loose nut)

...Milwaukee is one of the few brands I haven't heard of changing hands and merging over the past few years. Bosch makes stuff for Crapsman, Delta and Porter-Cable are the same company now, and I believe DeWalt is in bed with one of the other Chinese mfr's, too. Not casting aspersions on their quality, just forging my opinion.
If you want a good saw cheap, though, check out the Hitachi's. I've used a lot of their tools and been VERY impressed. I have their 10" sliding compound miter saw, and it cuts incredibly well!

The Black and Decker Corp. owns Dewalt, Porter-Cable, Delta, and of course Black & Decker. Everyone is in bed with someone from China, India or South America.

i've got a makita corded and a craftsmen cordless. the makita is geting some age on it, but still does great.

i had a corded porter cable sawzall (before my truck got broken into) that was great and very light, so i would assume their circular saws are too. i would have replaced it with another, but got a better deal on a milwaukee.
If you want a good saw cheap, though, check out the Hitachi's. I've used a lot of their tools and been VERY impressed.
i agree, i've been very pleased with my hitachi angle grinder. it was dirt cheap. my large metal drill bits are hitachi also, and have been great.

Just bought a milwakee one from HD about a month ago for $99 dollars and like it alot came with a case as well plus liked the 5 year warranty. But weight and feel was what made me like it the most.

My 20+ year old skill saw got knocked off saw horse and the handle broke. Looking for a new circular saw. Only one I've used pretty much. It has been ok but I'm sure there are huge improvements.
Makita or Milwaukee still the "prefered" models? I am married to Rigid cordless tools and thought about a cordless saw, for homeowner use. Kinda still think it should have a constant power source.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Cordless has improved over the years but still not what I would want for a project of any size. I’ve got a Rigid, a Skill worm drive, and a Makita and the Makita is my go to for almost everything. Nice feature about the Rigid is the cord length is about 15’.

I saw that rigid has a lifetime parts and service warranty. But I would like a saw that is easier and better quality, with good ergonomics. My old skill saw was bad about blowing sawdust in my face,...... one thing that is didn't like. But I'm sure most are good about that now. Looking to spend 150 max 100 to 120 is expected.

Not afraid of reconditioned, still have my rigid recip saw that committed me to 18v rigid 10years ago.

Other than dust ports, weight and comfort, LED or laser would seem nice, for my older eyes. Any other features to look for. I've narrowed it to Ridid, Makita and Milwaukee, all chorded. Will go to the depot later today to compare hands on.

Funny this post came back up. I eventually bought a nice saw, Makita I think and hated it. Tried my old Craftsman that was "worn out" and it seemed fine and I've used it ever since. That Makita would always bind up and stop. The Craftsman is like lightning in my hand!

Funny this post came back up. I eventually bought a nice saw, Makita I think and hated it. Tried my old Craftsman that was "worn out" and it seemed fine and I've used it ever since. That Makita would always bind up and stop. The Craftsman is like lightning in my hand!
I searched for recommendations b4 starting a new thread. You dont recall the model you bought do you? I've pretty much swore off Crapsman and Dewalt power tools.

I've got a Makita that Ive had a couple years and it's been nothing but good for me. It's the cheaper $100 model, not the magnesium version. It's Lightweight,feels comfortable in my hand, and good sight line. It replaced a rigid that I was equally pleased with that I gave to my brother-in-law to start his tool collection.

500ZF I spent good money on that saw and I hated it! I bought a deceased friend's PorterCable saw a few months ago but have't had the chance to really use it so can't report on it.

I searched for recommendations b4 starting a new thread. You dont recall the model you bought do you? I've pretty much swore off Crapsman and Dewalt power tools.

But My parents gave me that Craftsman when I bought my first house around 1985! :D So It was probably American made and was good quality!

Lol I hear ya, I've got a millers falls and a porter cable but I dont think either is grounded properly and are heavy as hell!
29648f7743398034bfed91e36db331fd.jpg

Back