CJ windshield glass or plexi/lexan?

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Whelp... I got in a hurry installing my glass and cracked the new glass...

Any recommendations for a decent place that can install one ?

Any idea what these things run ?

While im thinking about it. Anyone running anything other than glass ? Just off road ? Does it hold up well ?

THanks

bein that is flat glass, it's got to be fairly cheap ( $100ish) installed, I've had several windshields replaced in my old Runner $125,installed, Triumph Auto Glass. they came to me twice, third time I went there.

Lexan ain't gonna be cheap and plexi will scratch easily, especially with wipers

Is Lexan or plexi DOT approved?

Matt

I put a plexi in mine. Got some 1/4" at Lowes. About $60 if I remember for enough to do 2. Didn't hold up as good as I would have liked. Finally went back to glass. Called around, got one installed for $130.

Matt

Of course not !! why take all the fun out of it?

Lexan would probably push out of the frame before it broke, as would Plexi.

I've used both as replacements in lift trucks, and if it's in a rubber gasket, it'll flex and pop out before it fractures most of the time.

Matt

Technically - does it matter?
Nc state inspection does not even require a windsheild. Just wipers. (Brilliance at work).

I've got Lexan in my DD. Probably not dot approved, but like he said, it doesn't matter. I've had mine inspected twice and neither inspector said anything about it. the law doesn't say anything about having a windshield. Just can't have those wipers streaking. It does get scratched up by the wipers. I spent 1 1/2 hours today with a dremel and some plastic polish on one side of mine. It's been in there about 2-3 years. I think I gave $250-$280 for a 4x8 sheet and got two windshields out of it. Mine is screwed in and then has that 3M window weld (nasty) stuff to seal it to the frame and then black caulk around it to seal the rust holes at the top. It still leaks a bit but I can't for the life of me figure out where. I tried plexiglass from Lowes first but it cracked in half the first cold snap. I got hit the other day with something huge driving down the belt line right in the windshield on the passenger side. It left two marks on the lexan about 2-3 inches apart and scared the ever livin' crap outta me it was so loud. But if I'd have had a glass windshield in it, it would have been toast. If the glass still fits, I'd put glass back in it. The scratches really make driving at night a lot of fun.

I wouldnt recommend Lowes plexiglass, it scratches way too easily. I had to do an emergency repair to get me home (8hr highway, pre-towrig), so I made do with what they had....2 1/8" sheets on top of each other. It worked pretty well, so I kept driving it for a few months. I put the wipers back on, but they scratched it up pretty bad and I finally found a used frame with good glass.
ai51.photobucket.com_albums_f363_RenegadeT_4326.jpg

I was talking to one of the Dixie Boggers at the Farm open invite a couple weeks ago, he had just had some(not sure which) put in his Jeep. $80 installed.

Mike IIRC the last one I bought was $110 from JnT in Marion. I installed myself.

For something that sees street time, I'd make the 'shield easily removable, and then use regular glass.

Many of the LC crowd has done this...

Mine has a long 1/4" bolt with a cotter pin in it replacing the hinge...

Just to add a note...Look for MR10 Lexan. (Also a different Manuf calls it No-Mar) This is the stuff we use in race cars.
Also...if runnin wipers, get a hold of Russo's tinting. He has a clear Mylar or acetate to cover it with that is just about as durable and you can just peel it off and put a new sheet on!
They are starting to use this stuff on aircraft windshields!

Just to add a note...Look for MR10 Lexan. (Also a different Manuf calls it No-Mar) This is the stuff we use in race cars.
Also...if runnin wipers, get a hold of Russo's tinting. He has a clear Mylar or acetate to cover it with that is just about as durable and you can just peel it off and put a new sheet on!
They are starting to use this stuff on aircraft windshields!
AIRCRAFT?? Holy $%#%$# , I bet thats gonna be cheap!!:lol:

Back